Career change - How to become the next Mark Beaumont?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
I am envious of the likes of Mark Beaumont who basically gets paid by sponsors to ride and partake in various challenges. As well as writing books, social media following, talking at events etc. A great way to make a living.

I think I am ready made for this life but the hard but will just be the initital breakthrough. Before hiring a PR agency which is expensive and a last resort, looking for ideas on what would be needed, and ways to promote myself/challenges?

I think I have pretty good USP's to stand out in that all my challenges will be done on fixed gear bike and myself 200lbs+ in weight. I think this would make the general public respect the efforts even more. We've seen from the recent yearly distance records outside of the cycling world the mainstream media wasn't very interested so the USP is crucial.

My first challenge I would like to climb Muana Kea twice in succession to make it also an everest attempt. Each climb of muana kea is nearly 14,000ft elevation, only 73 people have ever cycled it once accoring to strava and I doubt any on fixed gear.

Anyway, any ideas on progressing this further?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ride it backwards.

vickster

Legendary Member
I did it 3 times backwards on a unicycle, unknown to me I had not turned my Garmin on. I did have some photo's as proof but they were destroyed by a rogue shark that escaped from our garden pond and ate the saddle bag they were in.
Awww that's so sad...even sadder than Blazed ;)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Or a mountain like Killimanjaro?
Yes it's been cycled before, but there would be a record to beat and it's possibly a little more famous as the highest mountain in Africa than a dormant volcano in an American state.
Then there are the poles. One has been cycled, not sure about the other.

Top Bottom