Career change - How to become the next Mark Beaumont?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
The annual race, link given, which has a time recorded for it. You like races.
Done by age, not weight though the bracketing.

Noticed the change by the way, "My first challenge I would like to climb Muana Kea twice in succession."
They only go up to the visitor centre http://www.hawaiicyclingclub.com/sea-to-stars.html, theres still over 4000ft to go after that including the steepest gravel section. Please verify before posting theres enough misinformation out there already.

Tin Pot

Guru
I am envious of the likes of Mark Beaumont who basically gets paid by sponsors to ride and partake in various challenges. As well as writing books, social media following, talking at events etc. A great way to make a living.

I think I am ready made for this life but the hard but will just be the initital breakthrough. Before hiring a PR agency which is expensive and a last resort, looking for ideas on what would be needed, and ways to promote myself/challenges?

I think I have pretty good USP's to stand out in that all my challenges will be done on fixed gear bike and myself 200lbs+ in weight. I think this would make the general public respect the efforts even more. We've seen from the recent yearly distance records outside of the cycling world the mainstream media wasn't very interested so the USP is crucial.

My first challenge I would like to climb Muana Kea twice in succession to make it also an everest attempt. Each climb of muana kea is nearly 14,000ft elevation, only 73 people have ever cycled it once accoring to strava and I doubt any on fixed gear.

Anyway, any ideas on progressing this further?

Contact Strava, theyre keen on promoting this kind of thing.

As for sponsorship, you need to get off your backside and go around hundreds of people and businesses and convince them to put their money on you.

If you have a background in used car sales or fraud, it should be second nature.

classic33

Leg End Member
They only go up to the visitor centre http://www.hawaiicyclingclub.com/sea-to-stars.html, theres still over 4000ft to go after that including the steepest gravel section. Please verify before posting theres enough misinformation out there already.
Check what was posted. Start & finish points are given. They only organise the race(gives more time for that second attempt), what would they know?

More than one way up a hill.

Top Bottom