Career change - How to become the next Mark Beaumont?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I did it 3 times backwards on a unicycle, unknown to me I had not turned my Garmin on. I did have some photo's as proof but they were destroyed by a rogue shark that escaped from our garden pond and ate the saddle bag they were in.
As luck would have it, I have just today captured that very shark on my fishing boat. I'm looking for the photos now, I'm sure they're in here somewhere...

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Or a mountain like Killimanjaro?
Yes it's been cycled before, but there would be a record to beat and it's possibly a little more famous as the highest mountain in Africa than a dormant volcano in an American state.
Then there are the poles. One has been cycled, not sure about the other.
The poles would be a good one, remember your armwarmers though I've heard it can get a bit nippy.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
There's an annual race up it. Time to beat,
"Course record of 3:23:20 was set by Oahu’s Eric Lau in 2011"
http://www.hawaiicyclingclub.com/

34/27, on a fixed.

Wrong. Even pro cyclists can't get under 4 hours 45. Not sure what the time you've posted is for but it's not the full climb from Hilo. That fixed gear ratio is far from impressive as well. I ride 49/18 regardless of terrain.
Here's the segment for full climb https://www.strava.com/segments/1504789

For the record the point of riding fixed isnt to put an easy gearing on it and ride uphill. That's no different to riding a geared bike as on a long mountain climb you don't have to change gear often anyway. The point is to ride an everyday gear ratio that makes mountain ascending supremely difficult.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Change your name via deed poll to Mark Beaumont. Congrats, you're the next Mark Beaumont.

On a serious note... “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.”

Enjoy the round the world tour on a unicycle.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or a mountain like Killimanjaro?
Yes it's been cycled before, but there would be a record to beat and it's possibly a little more famous as the highest mountain in Africa than a dormant volcano in an American state.
Then there are the poles. One has been cycled, not sure about the other.
Part of the "Triple Volcano Ironman Challenge" though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Such a feat as Blazed is attempting needs a catchy name to stand out. Something to accurately describe such a stunning feat of endurance, like Performance Racing And Training for example. A jersey with the initials would give Blazed a brand image, something to stand out from the crowd.

go.jpg

TVC

It's good to have Blazed back, I missed his whimzy

classic33

Leg End Member
Wrong. Even pro cyclists can't get under 4 hours 45. Not sure what the time you've posted is for but it's not the full climb from Hilo. That fixed gear ratio is far from impressive as well. I ride 49/18 regardless of terrain.
Here's the segment for full climb https://www.strava.com/segments/1504789

For the record the point of riding fixed isnt to put an easy gearing on it and ride uphill. That's no different to riding a geared bike as on a long mountain climb you don't have to change gear often anyway. The point is to ride an everyday gear ratio that makes mountain ascending supremely difficult.
The annual race, link given, which has a time recorded for it. You like races.
Done by age, not weight though the bracketing.

Noticed the change by the way, "My first challenge I would like to climb Muana Kea twice in succession."

Top Bottom