Careera Subway 2 - Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martaaay

I trying to get some updates to my bike to go touring in Europe in march. I want to upgrade the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smart Guard Performance Endurance Wired Tyre but I cant find the correct size despite having visited 2 halfords stores. One technician told me the tyres I want wont fit and Ill need to buy new wheels. i refuse to believe this as Ive sure seen other people upgrade before. Can anyone help please?

Bike - https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ke-2020---black---s-m-l-xl-frames-346198.html

Proposed Tyres - https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...marathon-plus-reflex-tyre-700x28c-130016.html
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus Reflex Tyre 700x28c

weareHKR

The First link to the bike has 27.5 tires on it... :blush:
The second link is for 700C tires... so if your wheels are 27.5 as per the picture, no they won't fit! :stop:

Basically, 27.5 is more or less the same as 650b & the 700's are more or less the same as a 29er! :wacko:

weareHKR

The most important number is 584 for the rims (27.5) I'm sure they will be but always worth checking, if so then yes these will fit, they will, however, be considerably narrower.. :smile:

OP
OP
M

Martaaay

The First link to the bike has 27.5 tires on it... :blush:
The second link is for 700C tires... so if your wheels are 27.5 as per the picture, no they won't fit! :stop:

Basically, 27.5 is more or less the same as 650b & the 700's are more or less the same as a 29er! :wacko:
Yeah i though it wasnt 700c but this is what the rep told me

OP
OP
M

Martaaay

The most important number is 584 for the rims (27.5) I'm sure they will be but always worth checking, if so then yes these will fit, they will, however, be considerably narrower.. :smile:

Thanks of that -as I said above - its a hybrid bike so will have narrower tyres take away from its adaptability if I was to go off road?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
yeah they look decent - Theres that many types - Ive lost track.

As its a hybrid bike I wanna chose a tyre that obv more so for road but also allow me that hybrid functionality if I am to go off road - if that makes sense?
depends on how off road your going though, for gravel paths they should be fine but not for mud plugging

weareHKR

Thanks of that -as I said above - its a hybrid bike so will have narrower tyres take away from its adaptability if I was to go off road?
Yeah exactly what Cyberknight said.
I have a Subway 1 & took my Schwalbe tires off for going on rough terrain, swapped them out for 29er tires 50mm wide! :becool:
But for what you're planning in March those will be perfect for you! :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you go on the Schwalbe website, rather than use the Halfords one, you will see there are a massive range of possible tyres to choose from.
Personally I'm a big fan of the regular Marathon Greenguard tyre, but I don't use M+. They are slightly more puncture resistant but then I haven't had one flat in three years using regular Marathons, and the Plus versions are considerably heavier. If I was persuaded to use a Plus, I would almost certainly only put one on the rear, which carries more weight and tend to pick up more punctures, and run a regular Marathon on the front.
I would give any kind of heavily treaded tyre a wide berth for long distance riding, due to the extra drag they generate.

OP
OP
M

Martaaay

Yeah exactly what Cyberknight said.
I have a Subway 1 & took my Schwalbe tires off for going on rough terrain, swapped them out for 29er tires 50mm wide! :becool:
But for what you're planning in March those will be perfect for you! :okay:

Perfect- thank you

OP
OP
M

Martaaay

If you go on the Schwalbe website, rather than use the Halfords one, you will see there are a massive range of possible tyres to choose from.
Personally I'm a big fan of the regular Marathon Greenguard tyre, but I don't use M+. They are slightly more puncture resistant but then I haven't had one flat in three years using regular Marathons, and the Plus versions are considerably heavier. If I was persuaded to use a Plus, I would almost certainly only put one on the rear, which carries more weight and tend to pick up more punctures, and run a regular Marathon on the front.
I would give any kind of heavily treaded tyre a wide berth for long distance riding, due to the extra drag they generate.

Thats my issue - way too much choice just confuses my issue even more

OP
OP
M

Martaaay

So just digging alittle further and paying attention to the number 583 youve mentioned. Ive come across the marathon plus tour -
the https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus-tour - but I dont see the 584 mentioned sso would it be right to assume this wouldnt be a good fit?

Top Bottom