Careful where you recycle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Seriously, going anywhere near these skips is hazardous, but to actually enter one is pure madness and for you to positively recomend this activity to people is downright irresponsible. I wont even begin to list the dangers of engaging in this type of thing.

So how come I and my colleagues in the recycling game haven't been multipully killed doing our jobs then? That frequently involves not just going near great big skips, but getting into them to level the stuff out. We have gloves, and that's about it.

Tell you what, if you and yours are too dumb to work out what's safe and what isn't for you, then you keep away from skips. Those of us with brains will continue to use our common sense.

On a legal note though, I've a feeling that taking something from a skip is technically stealing it from the owner of the skip... So dangerous - only if you're a div. Illegal, I'm afraid probably yes, technically.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
So how come I and my colleagues in the recycling game haven't been multipully killed doing our jobs then? That frequently involves not just going near great big skips, but getting into them to level the stuff out. We have gloves, and that's about it.

Tell you what, if you and yours are too dumb to work out what's safe and what isn't for you, then you keep away from skips. Those of us with brains will continue to use our common sense.

On a legal note though, I've a feeling that taking something from a skip is technically stealing it from the owner of the skip... So dangerous - only if you're a div. Illegal, I'm afraid probably yes, technically.

PMSL!! :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

You carry on doing your activity for highly intelligent people Arch, when you've finished why not go and play chicken with the artics on the motorway? Or perhaps you'd enjoy licking your fingers and poking them in the electric sockets? All perfectly safe if you're careful!!! Numpty! ;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
domtyler said:
go and play chicken with the artics on the motorway
licking your fingers and poking them in the electric sockets

you're comparing those things with taking a plastic chair from a skip, and she's the numpty?;)

domtyler

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
you're comparing those things with taking a plastic chair from a skip, and she's the numpty?;)

Look mate, if you are happy to go and play in a big metal box with broken glass, splintered wood, twisted metal shards, chemical spills, rotting food and assorted other refuse then go for it, I won't stop you. I just don't think it is right to go around recommending that others follow suit.

Mr Pig

wafflycat said:
just because someone thought a crime was being committed, it was not automatic that it was followed up. Perhaps that has gone out of the window

No. They happily ignore the countless neds, Yobs, Chavs and other ne'er-do-wells who make this country such a miserable place to live.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch, are you mad? I won't even walk past a skip in case a shard of glass leaps out and embeds itself in my throat, or a discarded Bauhaus chair makes an unprovoked attack. I've always thought you were a menace to society and this sort of behaviour has convinced me. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Look mate, if you are happy to go and play in a big metal box with broken glass, splintered wood, twisted metal shards, chemical spills, rotting food and assorted other refuse then go for it, I won't stop you. I just don't think it is right to go around recommending that others follow suit.

How about the 'others' make up their own minds? I expect some of them have the power of independent thought...

Some people on here are always recommending all sorts of activities I wouldn't touch with a bargepole because I know I wouldn't enjoy them, or I'd be no good at them, so I simply choose not to do them. I don't go about saying other folk are nuts to do them if they wish...

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
Arch, are you mad? I won't even walk past a skip in case a shard of glass leaps out and embeds itself in my throat, or a discarded Bauhaus chair makes an unprovoked attack. I've always thought you were a menace to society and this sort of behaviour has convinced me. ;)

:thumbsup::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

U

User482

The most sensible approach would be for the council to provide an open area at the recycling/ waste centre for items that can be re-used. I can see why they would want to discourage people rooting through skips though - they'd end up getting sued if someone fell in, no doubt.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
User482 said:
The most sensible approach would be for the council to provide an open area at the recycling/ waste centre for items that can be re-used. I can see why they would want to discourage people rooting through skips though - they'd end up getting sued if someone fell in, no doubt.
If people just left the stuff in hedges, or down country lanes, then we wouldn't have to run the dangers of skip-diving ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:

Which is why I'd say it should be at people's own risk.

I've often though there should be a more organised system for letting people reuse stuff - the average city tip is heaving with perfectly useful furniture, bikes, timber off-cuts, old doors, bits of carpet, reusable bricks or slates etc. If you had a large area, with sections for each type of stuff, it would just have to be sorted as it arrived and people could browse as they wished. Old bricks and timber are especially useful in gardens and allotments and a lot of furniture that is thrown out merely needs minor repairs (if any) or maybe a good cleaning.

At least here in York the bikes now get recycled by a local scheme.

U

User482

Arch said:
Which is why I'd say it should be at people's own risk.

I've often though there should be a more organised system for letting people reuse stuff - the average city tip is heaving with perfectly useful furniture, bikes, timber off-cuts, old doors, bits of carpet, reusable bricks or slates etc. If you had a large area, with sections for each type of stuff, it would just have to be sorted as it arrived and people could browse as they wished. Old bricks and timber are especially useful in gardens and allotments and a lot of furniture that is thrown out merely needs minor repairs (if any) or maybe a good cleaning.

At least here in York the bikes now get recycled by a local scheme.

It doesn't matter what you or I think - you'd have to get everyone entering the site to sign a watertight disclaimer to avoid ambulance chasing lawyers.

I note that Daventry council is doing that at their recycling site - I was clearing out my nan's old house and was able to put useful items in the "re-use" area. By the time I came back with a second load, they'd all gone.

Top Bottom