Careful where you recycle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigwheel

Hmmmm save the world

I could that would mean driving thus killing mother earth as well. ltes face it it's all over. There is no easy way to do it.

twowheelsgood

bigwheel said:
Why oh why do I live in a world killing country like Gibraltar!!!

All I want to do is recycle some old bottles!!!!!
do they still dump cars into the sea there?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Thanks to Genny for an intelligent and rational post. After the usual semi-incomprehensible rubbish from certain people, it makes a change...

On rock! bigwheel.

I went to the Waste Transfer Station yesterday and there were two lovely wrought iron chairs in good nick..."more than my jobsworth guv..."

Alll the 'bunce' is dealt with by the resident merchants... in days past, when I used to visit this facility on a job-related basis, there were 7 people on a shift, each paid (by the dealers) £13 a day cash for their "co-operation". This was 12 years ago and granted, things may have changed but the lust for 'goodies' hasn't.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snorri said:
Have you ever thought of doing a cycle tour of the places on an old radio dial? Hilversum, Kalundborg, Motala, Warsaw, Morava, Budapest, Stockholm, Allouis, Brasov etc. No? Oh well it was just a thought.

Do I need to do them in that particular order? I have been to Motala and Stockholm does that count. Two down and seven to go. :sad:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've been to some council tips asking where I can put old tins of paint and have been told to put them in the middle of the skip where 'they will soon get covered up and no one will know.'!:sad:

Monmouth tip (sorry, "waste reception centre":rolleyes:) seems to always have reusable stuff lined up along the road next to the skip bays. When me and Ms RT tried to pick up a usable set of bookshelves up from there the other week, we were told not to in no uncertain terms by the jobsworth leaning out of the cab of the compactor. Why not, he didn't explain.

Milo

Guru
If you show up in a scruffy white van they dont mind a bit of a scavenge.
My old boss got hold of a massive alu flight case for tool storage with a 10 pound bung down in Brentford.

U

User482

Night Train said:
I've been to some council tips asking where I can put old tins of paint and have been told to put them in the middle of the skip where 'they will soon get covered up and no one will know.'!;)

That's very poor. Our local tip has a special, secure area for hazardous liquids.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
miloat said:
If you show up in a scruffy white van they dont mind a bit of a scavenge.
My old boss got hold of a massive alu flight case for tool storage with a 10 pound bung down in Brentford.

Crumbs - that's a heavy one. They are usually made from cork or rubber in my experience. Does Brentford have specially big heavy ones? :ohmy:

Gromit

Über Member
I'm a Recycle Officer at ST Nicks in York, where Arch sometimes works. My work friends and I often dive into skips, its part of the job, we even put our gloved hands it sacks full of broken glass bottles, in order to fill up boxes so we can empty them into the skips. One of my friends also eats out-of-date canned food he has found in a recycle box. A few weeks ago we had a BBQ, and drank out of date beer. We are all perfectly healthy.

The best days are the days we find things, chairs, books, plant pots, clothes etc. I hate to see things that are perfectly good, get thrown away, I see it as a crime, we need to reuse things more.

Top Bottom