Carlton Cobra frame - curved stays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ladiek

Hello
I have just bought a Carlton Cobra bicycle with curved seat stays.
The previous owner's father had a collection of Carlton bicycles and this was one of them.
I have been unable to find any information or photographs of a Carlton frame, possibly from the 1960's, having curved seat stays.
The National Cycle Museum has no knowledge of such a frame and I have searched through several Carlton catalogues from this period and earlier, without success.
The frame and forks appear to be as supplied originally in the blue / black Accrllichrome finish and strangely, there are no brazed-on rear brake cable stops on the top tube - only Campagnolo cable clips.
Does anyone have any information on this frame please - could it be a prototype frame never put into production ?
Being a doddery old electronic nerd, I've no idea how to include a photograph, but I could email some to someone who could do it for me, or perhaps someone could explain how to in simple language.
I see the "mountain" icon but I've no idea what an URL is !
Thank you.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I want to see it! If the pic's on a computer, look for the ''Upload a file'' next to the Post reply button. I think it's the same with phones too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't know if you're eligible yet as a newbie to upload pics but you could post a link to a photo sharing site.
I have a recollection of someone posting a Carlton (i think) with curved seat stays in the 'eBay watch' section.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is it anything like this?
s_l1600_66db6f4c351f199d7b6a341a948a85f30e80a84c.jpg

There's a thread on the subject here: https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefo..._66db6f4c351f199d7b6a341a948a85f30e80a84c.jpg

OP
OP
L

ladiek

This is a photograph of the Carlton Cobra [copied from ebay] and yes, this is the one I have bought but not as yet received !
Apparently, it's not a standard Cobra frame that someone has modified, either deliberately or accidentally !

It does look strange ! I would have thought to have achieved that amount of curvature the other stays would also show some signs of distortion .

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

midlife

Guru
I was just thinking that it must have been done prior to plating and leaving the factory . I would have thought it would require longer seat stays to allow for that amount of curvature ?

midlife

Guru
Chainstays are straight so all the curve will do is raise the dropout a bit. Carlton chrome on copper would be no problem to gently curve afterwards. The wrap round points at the dropout and not way in front of it was brazed curved. Also the jigs used would not fit.

Top Bottom