Carlton Continental Frame (1970's)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I picked up this 1970's Carlton Continental Frame locally, 25 1/2 inch. I'm hoping to build it into a Winter bike with parts mainly from another bike. Seems like a heavy, solidly built frame, "tru wel" tubing apparently (Carlton's cheapest gaspipe?)

Carlton Pic 4.jpg

I've ordered a couple of Carlton Imichrome decals, just for the down tube (some more later perhaps) and I have a seat post for this bike, that is 25.4mm.

I ordered a bargain pair of NOS Formos brake levers (Weinmann copies) for £15.
https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk...brake-levers-racer-sports-bike-nos-bbp2210551

395797549-600x400.jpg

Jobs done:

BB has been changed to Shimano BN-UN55, to allow clearance for the front triple.

Brake callipers changed to a long drop dual pivot pair with old style frame bolt/nut.

New bearings in Headstock. Greased and adjusted, a new notched retaining chrome ring added, so that the steerer nut doesn't move.

I'm enjoying the build, but still busy calculating the size of loops for the outer brake cables over the handle bars. :tongue:

Last edited:
more photos required......its the law!!

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Progress yesterday::

Formos Levers, Dual pivot brakes, Suntour power shifters, 7 speed new hyperglide freehub.

Looped brake outer cable. (Hopefully these are within acceptable standards).

The dual pivot brakes, I got from ebay, have an alloy anchor nut/bolt for attaching the inner cable, I didn't think these were robust enough, so I've ordered some stronger steel anchor bolts/nuts. My brake criteria was that they would be dual pivot, have vintage style bolt/nut fixings and are long drop, hopefully they will stop me too.

Carlton Side May 2018.png

Carlton Front May 2018.png

Carlton Brakes 2018.png

Last edited:
It is looking nice and shiny now .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Progress yesterday:

Formos Levers, Dual pivot brakes, Suntour power shifters, 7 speed new hyperglide freehub.

Looped brake outer cable. (Hopefully these are within acceptable standards).

The dual pivot brakes, I got from ebay, have an alloy anchor nut/bolt for attaching the inner cable, I didn't think these were robust enough, so I've ordered some stronger steel anchor bolts/nuts. The main criteria is that the brakes were dual pivot, have vintage style bolt/nut fixings and are long drop, hopefully they will stop me too.

View attachment 407114

View attachment 407115
View attachment 407116
Looks good, brake levers are a bit high for my taste but if they work OK with those dual pivot calipers and the handlebars with 'flats' on the curve then fair enough.
Plenty of room for mudguards though with those brakes.

:becool:

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Maybe fit one of these,

to tidy up the cables.
I have a box of a cheap black cable ties........ ^_^
Looks good, brake levers are a bit high for my taste but if they work OK with those dual pivot calipers and the handlebars with 'flats' on the curve then fair enough.
Plenty of room for mudguards though with those brakes.

:becool:

I agree, the levers are slightly higher than I normally have them, but I get extra leverage..........

I'll hopefully be using this as a winter/tour bike, so my black SKS Bluemels mudguards are being cleaned ready to be installed.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a box of a cheap black cable ties........ ^_^

I agree, the levers are slightly higher than I normally have them, but I get extra leverage.........

I'll hopefully be using this as a winter/tour bike, so my black SKS Bluemels mudguards are being cleaned ready to be installed.
If you click on the pic its a linky to those clips.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The bolt on the back of the hanger seems extremely close to the rear hub, I might need to saw a bit off the bolt.

I got one of these::

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom