Carlton hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Campag long dropouts with mudguard eyes make me think of a Clubman variant (swapped forks)

carpenter

Über Member
Easy to remove the head badge - it has been put back on (with self tappers?) after being painted that, to my mind, awful colour.
Possible that the forks were originally half chrome and paint was removed during the previous refurbishment/repaint.

OP
OP
D

djwnomad

The faint trace you are trying to read said Dennis Daymond-John, my grandfather's name.

I don't think there is a blue colour underneath but I'll take the badge off in a bit. Thanks so far!

Edit- same colour under the badge. I can't see any blue so that must be a trick of the light. Also there is no blue around where the paint is rubbed back under the BB around the SN.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
The braze ons for the rear brake running just to one side of the underneath of the top tube were very common in the 60's and 70's. The top tube guides started to become more popular in the 80's.

Carlton had a thing about naming their bikes to begin with a C/K. Corinthian, Cobra, Corsa, Kermesse, Clubman lol

The Clubman changed a lot over the years, rather like the Ford Focus changes from year to year. Also there was usually an equivalent Raleigh which was the same but with different colours and badges.

They also used the same frame on different models.

Its just that yours has campagnolo dropouts which puts it up the pecking order.

OP
OP
D

djwnomad

Well thanks for everyone for their comments. It is still quite difficult to reach a Carlton Consensus (!) on the matter of its age/model. I may strip and respray it at some point, would be grateful if someone could let me know how the head badge should then be re-attached?
Thanks
David

You may get an idea of the age from looking at the back of the brake calipers for a date stamp . The brake levers are similar to my Holdsworth Record Weinmann quick release ones which are 1970's.
You could try using an old toothbrush and cellulose thinners to remove the paint to see what lies underneath before having it stripped for repainting . Any previous colour may identify which model it was . Also there may be remnants of any previous transfers hidden underneath .
I stripped back what I thought was a Rotrax frame a little while ago using the method described. I eventually discovered a light metallic blue framed Falcon Professional lurking under loads of paint .
Good luck !

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Assuming it is actually a Carlton, and not something else with a Carlton headbadge, is there any mileage in measuring the chainstays, the top tube centres, and the overall wheelbase? Would a specific set of dimensions point strongly to a particular model?

Top Bottom