Carlton Kirby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Like them both on Eurosport.
i thought that bit was brilliant!

i loved Duffers for the random talk on a long stage where bog-all was happening. Harmon is missed though, he is excellent at calling a rider on a break - i'd trust his call over race radio most times. i hope he returns soon.

Sean is brilliant, he has a droll sense of humour that takes a while to get. his knowledge is great too. it did take me time to get used to his accent and style, but when he's not on i miss him. he knows his stuff and isn't big headed. if you didn't know who it was you'd have no idea he is a legend.

Spot on, my opinion too.

Willo

As with last year, I much prefer to tune in to Eurosport for the in-race commentary but find the top and tail of ITV's highlights show decent for background stuff and pre and post-race interviews. I like CK but as others have said already, preferred the familiar set up of Harmon and Kelly with Kirby chipping in. Was wondering what had happended to Harmon - I really really like him as a commentator. Has a natural voice for it and generally gets a great balance between the racing and filling in with chat when needed.

oldroadman

Veteran
Things not to like - Sherwen and Liggett always on about (and always have been) "referees". Just use "commissaires" and explain what you mean guys, don't talk down to the audience because you think they might not understand. Carlton has begun to repeat comments about "putting him in the hurt place" and so on with "hurt" the common factor. It's getting dull. Alos he is trying to quote the rules when he does not kow them. Drinks/feeds from cars are OK up to the last 20km, not the last 30. Note sent to ES tonight, let's see if he gets it right tomorrow, he should be able to, it's a rest day!!

Hont

Guru
CK is OK in small doses but watching all of an epic stage (yesterday) was a bit much. He was constantly on 8-9/10 on the fever pitch-ometer for the whole day. For a long haul I found Phil and Paul's more measured approach much less wearing despite their, numerous, faults.

Lee_M

Guru
CK is OK in small doses but watching all of an epic stage (yesterday) was a bit much. He was constantly on 8-9/10 on the fever pitch-ometer for the whole day. For a long haul I found Phil and Paul's more measured approach much less wearing despite their, numerous, faults.

i enjoyed yesterdays chatter, maybe its becasue i like getting caught up n the event so ck reflects my state of mind :-)

Hont

Guru
Just read that there are no plans for Eurosport to re-hire David Harmon, which is disappointing.

It's bad enough that Carlton Kirby gets hysterical at the drop of a hat (witness his reaction at MSR of the riders going under the flamme rouge) or his use of just vowel sounds whenever ANYTHING happens, but yesterday's commentary on Catalunya was dismal. He is apparently delighted that Lampre picked up Chris Horner (why is that good news for anyone who cares about the sport?) and remained convinced that Fuglsang was off the front long after he had been caught by the peloton in full view of the camera and his co-commentator had mentioned it in commentary.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He is an idiot and has more repetitive phrases than is good for my blood pressure.
Light up the burners, Reach out and grab, etc etc
Robbie Hatch and even Declan Quigley are better. Anthony MacCrossan is worse!

He's a complete twazzock. Is it just racing that attracts commentators who are twazzocks or do I just not notice it in other sports because there's more going on and they don't have to fill in with inane dribble.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Well at least we've just been saved today by the weather, unfortunately there's no coverage at all, with or without his pearls... he had just promised that he would explain how Purito got his nickname later...again.
I understand that you have to appeal to new people to the sport all the time but...get a new anecdote every once in a while!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sky having cycling on telly gives me the heebie jeebies.
I really don't want to have to subscribe and I like ES for the lack of BBC-type puff around the races.
Robbie Hatch is pretty good at rider recognition.

The Couch

Über Member
Since you guys have so much love for the guy...
Peloton Watch just had to inform Carlton Kirby that it's Sebastian Henao riding the VCPV and not the older brother Sergio :smile:

In his defence though, they really look a lot a like

Hont

Guru
I like ES for the lack of BBC-type puff around the races.
Taking 2 hours to cover a 19 minute boat race for example.

I don't like having to subscribe to Sky, but as a cricket lover I don't have much choice. What is nice is to have two channels covering the same race as when one goes to a break, you can turn over and not miss anything (doesn't always work as they often go at the same time - descents mainly). Yesterday I stuck with Sky mainly due to my preference not to listen to Carlton Kirby, plus Backstedt is pretty good too. Although I certaintly have a soft spot for Sean Kelly.

Top Bottom