Carlton Kirby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
20% = the percentage of syllables uttered by Carlton Kirby in the last kilometre of a race that are actually intelligible.

I now see he's cropped up on Sky, doing the Giro highlights. I can only guess that someone at Sky was told to recruit "that guy from Eurosport who's really good" and there was a case of mistaken identity.

Rob Hatch is much better.

Last edited:
In defence of all cycling commentators it's not easy to talk practically nonstop for up to 3 hours especially when in a lot of stages nothing significant is actually happening.

jagman.2003

Über Member
I like Carlton Kirby. There, I said it. He makes me laugh. His "GVA vs SVB dishing out GBH" line yesterday was priceless.

I try not to rely on him for useful information about the race though. ^_^

I like Charlton too...! His comments on the Belgian Airforce the other week were excellent.
Certainly fills in the gaps for me for when the racing is a little flat to watch.

MikeonaBike

Has anyone heard anything of David Harman recently? He's the best cycling commentator by far, it is a shame that someone that good at the job has disappeared off the radar.

Hont

Guru
Has anyone heard anything of David Harman recently? He's the best cycling commentator by far, it is a shame that someone that good at the job has disappeared off the radar.

+1. I believe he is doing some work around the Yorkshire stages of the TdF (possibly announcing). The last statement I saw on the TV issue was that Eurosport had no plans to engage his services. Shame.

Buddfox

Veteran

I thought he had been quite ill / signed off with a stress related or other similar illness?

simon briggs

i actually like Carlton Kirby - I like his excitable style - It must be bloody hard thinking of something to say on a sporting event that lasts 4 plus hours and nothing really exciting happens until the last 40k

Hont

Guru
Not content with all of the above (and doing very average commentary for the Le Mans 24 hour btw) he's now taken to calling Sean Kelly "Sean-y".

Top Bottom