Carlton question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
First of all l would like to say hi to everyone...l joined about twenty minutes ago and l am definitely in uncharted waters (never been in any kind of forum before so hope l don't mess up to badly).!
I would like to show you guys what is fast becoming an obsession with me. I have recently acquired an old Carlton bike which l bought only because it reminded me of the bikes of my youth.
The more l look into the history of Carlton the more confused l get but since l am trying to restore it sympathetically l am hungry for info that will stop me from making mistakes. I add a few photos to show the object of my curiosity !!
IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@woodbutcher that just looks dandy so why not just use as is and enjoy

Resident Carlton man @Spokesmann will be along soon and even @midlife will share his knowledge

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thats not a bad idea....its just that l would love to know more about the bike. For example that Franco Italia decal on the seat tube, any clues as regards date of manufacture etc. just my curiosity!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thats not a bad idea....its just that l would love to know more about the bike. For example that Franco Italia decal on the seat tube, any clues as regards date of manufacture etc. just my curiosity!
normally i would expect to see a build or manufacture date stamp on thinks like the brake caliper (in a circle on the rear of one of the arms with an arrow pointing to a yr) and or the hubs depending on make could have two sets of double digits which will again be production date and year .

Just give it a once over mechanically and a good deep clean would be my way of doing it then ride and enjoy

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Basically the bike you have there is what the machine needs to look like, in that it all looks pretty original.

Whether you choose to modernize or restore is up to you! They are pretty simple machines, declas can be sought as can worn out parts. Would love to see more of this bike

The model so names as it used Italian long line lugs, this dates from the mid 60s, there should be a number with a letter prefix on the LHS rear drop out.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
normally i would expect to see a build or manufacture date stamp on thinks like the brake caliper (in a circle on the rear of one of the arms with an arrow pointing to a yr) and or the hubs depending on make could have two sets of double digits which will again be production date and year .

Just give it a once over mechanically and a good deep clean would be my way of doing it then ride and enjoy
Thanks for the info. l will check it out and believe me l do intend to ride the bike as often as poss.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Welcome to the friendliest vintage bike forum around! That looks very nice, I can only echo @biggs682 's sentiment and say enjoy it - most folks on here like to actually use the bikes in their collections; vintage bikes don't just look fabby, they're also lovely to ride!
Franco italia is a model name BTW http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/catalogues/carlton-gittins-cat.html
Many thanks for your warm welcome and don't worry, l bought the bike to ride not just to look at. Having said that it is in my eyes, a very elegant
machine.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
Hello Mike, just to say that l am not going to modernise the bike but just apply a bit of gentle restoration no new paint jobs etc.
Take a look at the pics. you will see the number on the dropout IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0269.JPG

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

Just had a look at the bak of the brake caliper there are two numbers 750 and 63 set one above the other

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had a look at the bak of the brake caliper there are two numbers 750 and 63 set one above the other

i think the 750 will be the drop ie from centre of mount point to rim measurement

normally the date stamp is a circle of 2 digits with an arrow pointing to one set of 2 digits indicating year of production but 63 would tie in with earlier suggestion by @mikeymustard

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I would think those wing nuts were added by the owner soon after buying. I remember buying some for my bike. We were the lads who couldn't afford q/r wheels and these were better than wheel nuts (or so we thought).
Yes and for the life of me l can't see why l would need wheels that release quickly...l'd much rather they stayed in their proper place .

Top Bottom