Carlton Versus Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Thats saddle could be a B15 Champion narrow.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
There is one thing I have got to say about the saddle is that I hit a bump in the road and it pointed skywards so I had to raise myself up and press it back down again, I'll have to see if I can tighten the nuts up underneath.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have just been out to the garage with a torch and although the writing is worn I can just make out B 5 N. Does that mean anything?
Yep, it means it's a B5n, often fitted as OE on bikes of that era. I was given one by John at Bob Warner Cycles a few years back that currently sits on the Equipe but that has a dimpled top, supposedly they were a cheaper saddle made of 'inferior' leather but I get the feeling that the hide may have been marked/scarred.
Rarer than a B17 these days though.
article : http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...s-b5n/&usg=AFQjCNGyV5V6ishqy0dBgctrYQmXoo-3bQ

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
As far as I can remember the saddle was blemish free when I bought the bike new, it had a smooth black finish. The first few rides were a bit painful, a bit of chafing on the insides of my legs but it soon wore in.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The saddle on my brother's 60's Carlton had deep cutouts so that there was hardly any of it left, it was comfy though.
Could have been a Swallow, they have a metal plate underneath to reduce sag

brooks-swallow-classic2.jpg
they were/are Brooks most expensive model, mine is the 2005 limited edition one.
If you fancy a laugh go onto Brooks website and look at the price of the 2007 Swallow limited edition (the 2005 has sold out)

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Could have been a Swallow, they have a metal plate underneath to reduce sag

brooks-swallow-classic2.jpg
they were/are Brooks most expensive model, mine is the 2005 limited edition one.
If you fancy a laugh go onto Brooks website and look at the price of the 2007 Swallow limited edition (the 2005 has sold out)
It was similar but more extreme and it didn't have a metal plate.

Top Bottom