Carlton Versus Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is my opinion of the two cycles that I have recently rebuilt and test ridden over 4 miles over the same route. The Holdsworth Record I have owned since 1970/71 and was last ridden in the late 90's as opposed to the Carlton Competition which I have owned for several weeks.
I think that my thoughts are unbiased due to the fact that I have always liked and wanted a Carlton. It was a Carlton Kermesse that I was after when I bought the Holdsworth Record from Fred Baker Cycles Bristol. I think it was the colour scheme that sold the Holdsworth to me, once sat astride it and it fitted everything else that was said went through one ear and out the other. I did think that the chrome rims looked rather dull, how should I know they were ally. I wasn't listening.
Well as to how they compared on the test rides, the Carlton seemed smoother and absorbed the bumps better which I would think on a longer run would be less tiring. The Holdsworth on the other hand seemed to vibrate more on the rough tarmac and I sensed a pitching fore and aft moment. However the steering on the holdsworth felt more agile and with the original thin bar tape felt nice and comfortable.
I can't decide between them as for handling, but seeing an advert for the Carlton Competition from 1977 as a frame only price £68 which was roughly the price I paid for the complete Holdsworth with Campag rear mech, quick release hubs, alloy rims and a Brooks leather saddle, I think the Holdsworth must have been good value.
016.JPG
Holdsworth Record 003.JPG

Attachments

• Holdsworth Record 005.JPG
    Holdsworth Record 005.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 55

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I like them both mate.

midlife

Guru
Very nice. With bikes like these with similar geometry the thing that makes a lot of difference is the wheels. A nice light pair of sprints sand tubs would have either bike zinging along :smile:

Shaun

robsa

Über Member
To be honest I did think what a lovely garden when I looked on the pics.
What saddle is that on the holdsworth? Ive got the same on my sun. Brooks b17? I'll have to have a look

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
The Holdsworth is basically period apart from the TA Stronglight double clanger , the original was a single steel chain ring. I think the tyres may be from that period as well.
Thanks for your comments.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I haven't a clue as to what Brooks saddle it is, it was fitted as standard. What I do know is that it still fits, I jumped straight on ( Oh perhaps in slow motion!) and rode off on it as if I had ridden it the day before.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have just recently sprayed the rear chain stays as they were badly scratched. I found that it was difficult trying to match that silver, as the base silver used for candy colours was far too bright so I added a small amount of white to mute the chrome effect. Too much white will make a grey colour.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very nice, I'd think the saddle would be a narrow version of the B17 (other saddles at the time would have been the B5n or the Wrights W3n again both narrow versions) the B17 standard permits a more upright riding position suited to the more touring style of cycle. In fact of my 5 different Brooks sadlles (all differing models) my B17 is the least comfy.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I will post a picture of the saddle in the morning as I am on the tablet at the moment but thanks anyway. I have got some short stainless steel mudguards which originally came with the bike somewhere , I've got to locate them, they don't do much apart from making a ting, ting sound as you are riding but they look pretty.

Top Bottom