Top end vintage off-the-peg Raleigh tourers - Classic versus Randonneur...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As the years have dragged by I've increasingly seen the appeal of older, nicely-made stuff, over arguably technically-superior modern offerings.

As such going slowly on a really nice vintage tourer appeals far more than smashing it on a modern plastic racer, and I've long-ago accepted that were the right bike to come up at the right place not-too-far-away then I'd turn a blind eye to the bike embargo.

A Raleigh Randonneur has always been top of the tree; ideally a 3x7sp 531 model in the classic two-tone gunmetal grey with white head tube (1987-1990?). I've always had a soft spot for the earlier Raleigh Classic however (1984-85?); which I believe was the fore-runner to the Randonneur as Nottingham's touring top-dog.

I think the burgundy / silver Classic just edges the Randonneur on aesthetic grounds; espcially with its lovely chromed forks and chainstays. Practically the Randonneur's 3x6 (or later 3x7) gearing trumps the 3x5 of the Classic. Not sure how the centre-pull Weinmann calipers of the Classic compare to the Shimano cantis on the Randonneur.

The Classic just pre-dates Shimano's rise to dominance in the components market; with the aforementioned Weinmann calipers, that gorgeous six-spoke Sakae crankset and other bits from Huret and Suntour. The Randonneur on the other hand has mostly Shimano running gear, complete with the ill-fated Biopace elliptical crankset that was all the rage for about 10 minutes when the bike was available.

Perhaps the biggest turn-off for the Classic is its archaic 27x1/8" rims versus the much-better-catered for 700C on the Randonneur.

Both have Brookes saddles (which look the part, although I don't particularly get on with them), while the Randonneur has proper brown bar tape and the Classic that horrible '80s black pipe lagging; although given the years elapsed both have probably crumbled and been replaced numerous times on surviving examples.

Which do you prefer and why?

b7089959757baa2ec63ecaa588aca9d0.jpg

PB183000.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Missed out buying a one owner from new randoneur in immaculate condition quite a few years ago and have always regretted it.
It was a choice between a Dawes Imperial (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/sold-1980s-dawes-imperial.137310/ ) in light sky blue or the Randoneur.

Last edited:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
A colleague has a mixte Classic. It is beautiful. Hover Fly has an earlier Raleigh with chrome, now being refinished in mid blue and silver. We both expect it too will be beautiful The chrome definitely swings it for me. The other details like rims can be changed, and won’t 40 year old rims be a bit worn by now?

Aesthetically, the Classic, of course. Who could resist that chrome and the maroon paint?

Saying that, the later Randonneur is less hassle to own and a better bike if you actually use it every day, and old tourers like that were meant to be used. People forget what a revelation cassette rear wheels were. I could bend an axle every fortnight commuting with freewheels.

And Galaxies of a similar vintage to the Randonneur seemed to have much better quality paint. I have a Horizon now and owned several Galaxies in the past. It really is the most hardwearing finish.

Last edited:
I could bend an axle every fortnight commuting with freewheels.

What on earth were you doing? Riding down steps?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If I had to choose one, it would be the Classic. Beautiful colour. Don't fret over 27 inch wheels, if in good nick they do give a slightly different ride to 700c wheels. Tyres are still readily available. But should you choose, you can swap them for700's.
But like @Juan Kog , if you have the space, get both. You won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers all :smile:

Missed out buying a one owner from new randoneur in immaculate condition quite a few years ago and have always regretted it.
It was a choice between a Dawes Imperial (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/sold-1980s-dawes-imperial.137310/ ) in light sky blue or the Randoneur.
Sorry to hear that; although that does look like a lovely example.. wasn't even aware of those tbh!

It would have to be a tatty Classic for me. The finish on them is beautiful.

Tatty so that I could put on bar end shifters, change the wheels and generally modify without guilt.
Aye, while I like the idea of a mint original I too would be tempted by some improvements (such as bar end shifters).

I think mods would be dictated by originality rather than condition but if they're bolt on / reversible, the original bits kept, and the work carried out sympathetically / carefully I don't see a problem modding a mint one (in principal at least!).

A colleague has a mixte Classic. It is beautiful. Hover Fly has an earlier Raleigh with chrome, now being refinished in mid blue and silver. We both expect it too will be beautiful The chrome definitely swings it for me. The other details like rims can be changed, and won’t 40 year old rims be a bit worn by now?
Yes, they do look especially nice in the Mixte format IMO. It was actually this (slightly non-original) example for sale on FB marketplace that inspired this post :smile:

I do like the chrome and I think this is one of a few things that sets the Classic apart from the Randonneur in seeming a bit more vintage / old school..

It's highly likely that the rims would be toast at that age and I'd not really looked too deep into option for 27" wheels. Seems there's 4mm on the radius between these and 700Cs (630 v 622mm) so sometimes you can get away with swapping them if there's enough adjustment in the brake calipers (although I suspect this would reduce max braking force a little). Regardless, 27" tyres are still available from some places so it seems viable to use original rims if they're still serviceable :smile:

The Classic has far prettier paint than the dull-as-ditchwater Randonneur . Everything else can be swopped to suit. A Classic fitted with slightly later polished NOS components would be a real head-turner.
I tend to agree; although would be perfectly happy with the oriinal groupset as I love that crankset :smile:

Ta for the thought, but it's the Raleighs that really tweak the nostalgia..

The red one does it for me . More colourful and also the chrome stays.
I also don't like the shopping basket things . I like traveling light.
Agree on the colour, although have no problem with the racks :smile:

Aesthetically, the Classic, of course. Who could resist that chrome and the maroon paint?

Saying that, the later Randonneur is less hassle to own and a better bike if you actually use it every day, and old tourers like that were meant to be used. People forget what a revelation cassette rear wheels were. I could bend an axle every fortnight commuting with freewheels.

And Galaxies of a similar vintage to the Randonneur seemed to have much better quality paint. I have a Horizon now and owned several Galaxies in the past. It really is the most hardwearing finish.
Are freewheels that bad, and are the Randonneurs not also on Freewheels being 6/7sp?

Interesting you mention the paint; that on my 1987 Routier has survived remarkably well considering the life it's apparently had..

My choice would be a Randonneur , 700c 7 speed and canti’s .
Don’t fret over making a choice, get both you’ll find room .
:laugh:
lol - sadly there's not really room for one tbh!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

If I had to choose one, it would be the Classic. Beautiful colour. Don't fret over 27 inch wheels, if in good nick they do give a slightly different ride to 700c wheels. Tyres are still readily available. But should you choose, you can swap them for700's.
But like @Juan Kog , if you have the space, get both. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks - I see Schwalbe still offer some suitably retro skinwall tyres; I'd prefer to keep it original but guess the original wheels could be rebuilt with 700c rims if the originals have had it :smile:

Top Bottom