Raleigh Classic 531c Tourer Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just picked this up this morning, late 1980's Classic 531 ST C usual huge frame! but a lovely bike. Campag record hubs, lots other nice upgraded stuff including front and rear pannier racks and Bluemells mudguards.

Just needs a deep clean and service.

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Classy bike: 531C and lovely paint - the lining on the seat tube is nice. Record hubs too!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Pulled the wheels off this afternoon and gave it a deep clean, under the dirt and grease it’s lovely. I’ve ordered a set of tyres and some bar tape, I’ve replaced both the brake cables, brake shoes are like new and the Weinmann centre pull brakes work perfectly. The previous owner fitted a brand new chain and Claris front mech.

The Jim Blackburn pannier racks are really high quality. I also love the Blumells Olympic mudguards, they responded well to some cutting paste.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I tackled the front wheel this morning, strangely they’re odd sizes, this one is the original 27” rim laced to an upgraded Record hub, the front also has a Record hub but with a Mavic 700c replacement rim :wacko:

These days most people just throw away a bent rim and buy a fresh set of wheels.

Before

And after

I’m not going too mad with this, It’s clearly been really loved and well maintained in the past. I just want to bring it back to a good serviceable bike.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
That's a beauty!

It is bloody lovely, shame I’m only 5’7”. It’s a 64 cms frame :ohmy:

DSK

Great to see these classics having new life breathed into them. I remember those levers on the downtube for gears.

Top Bottom