Raleigh Classic 531c Tourer Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The Continental Touring tyres arrived this morning, so I set myself up in a nice sunny spot, put the radio on and fitted them.

no dramas although they were not the easiest to fit. In the end I used a quick release clamp to hold the tyre to the rim.

I was chatting to my Super Galaxy owning brother last night and he thinks this could have been a special order bike as it has a 531c and not a usual 531st frameset, he also thinks that the Suntour dropouts and Campagnolo hubs were a factory option, like me he’s also cheesed off that it’s far too large!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm bloody pleased that's too big for me.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I think that in the late 80s, Raleigh sold the same frame, in black and gold, as the frame only, badged up 'Gran Tour'. I think this because I had one. I transferred all the parts from my previous Raleigh tourer and it was a fantastic bike. It was a 25" frame, but I'm quite tall (5'12" and long legs) and it fitted me well. They were still hand-brazed in Nottingham then, I think, and went through a different paint shop to the main run of production - hence the lug lining and the chromed forks and stays.

It was stolen from Working Street in Cardiff when I was a student there. I've missed it ever since.

(I replaced it with a Galaxy that was okay, but nowhere near as nice a ride).

This is lovely. I picked up a similar one in the same colour a few months ago. I ended up replacing a few bits and sanding, spraying the frame and forks. I learnt a lot from the experience and would do things differently next time - spraying is a bit of an art! I think this is a fair bit earlier than early 90s - could be mid eighties. I wanted one of these when I was 13/14 and ended up buying a Dawes Galaxy because I couldn't afford this one. By the way I am 6ft 6 and this is a 25 incher so not a bad fit. Enjoy it - they are wonderful bikes!

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_112945.jpg
    IMG_20201226_112945.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Top Bottom