Raleigh Classic 531c Tourer Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

What a lovely thing.

Bit giant though eh ? You'll be looking in bus windaes riding that thing along the road.

The upstairs one probably :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Even with 1970s bike sizing fashion, you'd need to be about 6'5" to comfortably ride that frame. I built up a fixie last year for a friend who is 6'3", using a 24" frame. The frame was immaculate, re-enamelled* and never built up. But there's not much of a market for anything so huge so it cost me £70, with parts thrown in that recouped more than half of that. This is the curse of the bicycle business. As Henry Ford said, make something people want, make it well, and make it in one size.

*until it got scuffed and scratched in the van after the Dunwich Dynamo...this always happens because the packers just don't care.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I'm 6' 2" and all my 20 years of time trialling where on 24" 531 frames ... i have also ridden 25 inch Carlton pro am frames in an number of eroica events ... i don't find the frames overly large ... just shorter exposed seat pin and shorter stem as required ...

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Front wheel all cleaned.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I put it all back together again this afternoon, I’m just waiting for a pair of tyres and some bar tape and it’s then ready to go to a new very lucky owner.

I cleaned up the chainwheels, cut back the paintwork and I think it looks fab, I’m going to resist doing any more to it as I really like it as it is.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I'm 6' 2" and all my 20 years of time trialling where on 24" 531 frames ... i have also ridden 25 inch Carlton pro am frames in an number of eroica events ... i don't find the frames overly large ... just shorter exposed seat pin and shorter stem as required ...

I’ve just managed to ride around the close, it is humungous! It rides really well, everything works a treat, you could genuinely load it up and go off on a tour.

I can just ride it someone over 6’ would be fine on it. Such a pity it’s not smaller.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Here's mine. Just finished , but i expect I'll put another layer of handlebar tape on ... black this time.
Wheels are 700c Decathlon, Vittoria 25mm tyres, FSA chainset, Shimano 105 derailleur, 8 speed friction gear changing ... the frame isn't as good as it looks,

the paint is chipped in places but i'd rather keep it original .... 24 inch frame all 531c double butted tubes ...internally inspected AFAP with endoscope then sprayed with silicone grease. New headset on the bench to be fitted when i get bored as the current one is fine to be honest but probably the oem fit. New cartridge BB and Shimano 520 pedals ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
You should consider upgrading to Shimano RX100’s you can pick them up for £15 used. They’re dual pivot 105 quality and are a direct replacement, the fittings are exactly the same.

Landsurfer

Veteran
You should consider upgrading to Shimano RX100’s you can pick them up for £15 used. They’re dual pivot 105 quality and are a direct replacement, the fittings are exactly the same.

View attachment 522543
I've got a set of Shimano Exage brakes that need a clean up and possibly fitting ... I'm 6'2" ish and 115 kg so i need brakes that work ...^_^

Top Bottom