Carradice bags mounting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leyton condor

Veteran
Am I correct in thinking that the sqr system is not that good?
I have been thinking of getting one of these and a Barley myself for commuting and longer day rides.
I currently use a rucksack for commuting and a small seat pack and small rucksack for longer rides.
I have been contemplating SQR and Barley versus Super C saddlepack and other similar ones for the last 18 months (yes I know I am very indecisive) and had more or less decided on the barley/sqr route.
Should I reconsider?
Are there other options?

Noodley

leyton condor said:
Am I correct in thinking that the sqr system is not that good?
I have been thinking of getting one of these and a Barley myself for commuting and longer day rides.
I currently use a rucksack for commuting and a small seat pack and small rucksack for longer rides.
I have been contemplating SQR and Barley versus Super C saddlepack and other similar ones for the last 18 months (yes I know I am very indecisive) and had more or less decided on the barley/sqr route.
Should I reconsider?
Are there other options?

See my reply above..IMO buy the bag I linked to as it has the capacity to store stuff and no need to buy other 'connection/fitting' stuff. If you add up the cost of bags, fittings, holding systems then it's a lot of money...

AlanW

Guru
gaz said:
How much can you fit in the barley comfortably?
I will be looking at using it daily with a shirt, socks and underwear, with the need for some space incase i need to carry extra clothing.

As I see it, a 'day bag' and a 'riding to work' bag have different requirements, don't you think? With a 'day bag', you wouldn't need to carry clothes etc, so in theory you shouldn't require as much space?

But using mine as my "riding to work" bag, I tend to keep a few days worth of shirts at work, so I do not need to carry these all of the time.

So on a normal day, its underwear, socks, two lots of sandwiches, cereal bar, yougat, fruit, Goretex Pac-Lite, ID lanyard, rather a large bunch of house keys, work keys, arm warmers, pair of lightweight woollen gloves, Multi tool, 2 x Park tyre levers, 2 x inner tubes, Quick Link, 2 x mobile phones, (ones mine, ones work) wallet and finally some loose change. I have still got room, if required to fit in a rolled up polo shirt if required?

But a big plus with the Barleyman, it has half a dozen little "D" rings on the top. So "if" in the event you do need to carry more stuff, and I have in the past, just attach to the top of the bag. The Pendle does not have these little "D" shaped attachment hoops.

As for the saddlebag support/carriers, well by far the better option IMHO is to fit a rack. But personally I hate the look of them, despite how practical they are! When I first went down the saddlebag route, I bought one and fitted it.

I absolutely hated the look of it, and there was no way that it was going to removed or refitted quickly, or without doing some damage to the paintwork at some point.

So it didn't even remain on the bike for an hour, before it was off and on e-bay. :biggrin:

I really wanted some thing that could be fitted and removed without any hassle, so when the weekend came it could be removed.

I then looked at the SQR mounting with a great deal of interest, but as all my bikes have carbon seat posts, I was worried about the possible damage it "could" cause by keep fitting/removing it.

So that was the reason behind my choice of the Q/R Bagman Sport, and I have to say that I have been 100% happy with it ever since. Apart from the day when it fell off, due to design fault, which has since been rectified by Carradice.

The two little grub screws had nothing to purchase on, so the stainless steel bar section simply slid out! Basically, all you need to do is to either "spot drill" or even centre punch where the grub screws locate on the ss bar.

The Q/R Bagman support takes seconds to fit it to any of my bikes, and does just exactly what it says it can do. Then just as quickly, its removed so that the bike goes back to looking normal again. :smile:

leyton condor

Veteran
Thanks Noodley, I was actualy thinking originally about the super C but then decided I preferred the look of the barley. I know what you mean about the price, as I don't have loops on my saddle I also need means of attaching.
Oh decisions decisions...........
Maybe I will leave it another 18 months or so...... or maybe get both

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
AlanW said:
As I see it, a 'day bag' and a 'riding to work' bag have different requirements, don't you think? With a 'day bag', you wouldn't need to carry clothes etc, so in theory you shouldn't require as much space?

So it will comfortably take a shirt, socks and pants?
And what determines if the bagman will fit my saddle? i take it i need the bagman q/r sport.

AlanW

Guru
gaz said:
So it will comfortably take a shirt, socks and pants?
And what determines if the bagman will fit my saddle? i take it i need the bagman q/r sport.

If you have not got any attachment holes at the rear of your saddle, then yes you will need the Bagman Sport support. Its your call if you want to opt for the Q/R version or not though?

But I know people that have bought the std one, then seen the Q/R on mine and wished that they had bought that version instead.

Can I suggest that you buy the Barleyman from Wiggle. Have a better and closer look at one, and size it up. Then if its not what you are looking for, with Wiggles excellant return policy you can simply return it and then swap it for the Pendle.

Or just do what I did, and buy both!

I don't know if they do the Q/R Bagman support, but if they do, do the same?

I can send you some better photos of the mountings if you like, just PM if you do.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I went ahead and took the advice of AlanW and got the barelyman, with Q/R bagman support.
Have yet to put it on the bike, but after reciving it today and putting my work clothes in the bag, it clearly all fits. enough space left for the puncture repair stuff.

Cheers!

AlanW

Guru
gaz said:
I went ahead and took the advice of AlanW and got the barelyman, with Q/R bagman support.
Have yet to put it on the bike, but after reciving it today and putting my work clothes in the bag, it clearly all fits. enough space left for the puncture repair stuff.

Cheers!

I love it when a plan comes together!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
SQR's... my objection is aesthetic; they are butt ugly bits of kit but rather effective if you have several bikes on which you may want to carry the same bag(s). They will mark seat posts, especially unprotected seat posts, so maybe consider a strip of old inner tube or some electrical tape, but the marks only show if you take the SQR off. They do need to be nipped up tighter than a tight thing to prevent the pendulum effect from causing the bag to rotate around the post.

I wish Brooks would offer a saddle (B17 Ti please) with a Bagman QR built in.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
32457_542920169330_285901520_2715565_7881879_n.jpg

32457_542920014640_285901520_2715562_5917487_n.jpg

AlanW

Guru
Don't forget to cut a piece of thick plastic/marine ply/Perspex to sit under the saddlebag to avoid it rubbing on the stainless steel rails.

MichaelO

Veteran

Cheers!
Bit of a thread resurrection, I know... I think I have a similar question to Gaz's original one - trying to ditch the small rucksack I carry to/from work with a folded work shirt & underwear (plus "bits") in. @gaz - How did/are you getting with the Barley? I think it's the one I'm leaning towards, but need to be sure it's big enough to take a folded work shirt.

I was using an Barley quite successfully for commuting (using an SQR mount) and carrying a days clothing - shoes, toiletries etc left in my desk. When I needed to bring a laptop with me, I added a SQR Tour Slim.

If you go into London, Condor usually have a good stop of Carradice, so you can decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom