Carradice SQR slim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I see these have come up on the latest Cyclescheme newsletter at £54.47. Has anyone any experience with these or similar?
I'm reluctant to fit panniers or a rack on my road bike, although I do have in my garage an older rack, which was on my hybrid for several years.
Weather such as we have recently experienced is making the sweaty back look particularly prominent. :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/commuting-with-a-carradice-issues-observations.101655/post-3801178 mentioned one. Maybe @jefmcg or @ajimbobr would post a review?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-on-here-own-carradice-sql-tour-slim-trek.69620/ has a few more comments.

Why are you reluctant to fit a rack? The Tor Tec Ultralite is currently discounted to £21 in some shops, is lighter than a water bottle and a rack-top bag wouldn't affect aerodynamics much.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have one. Good bit of kit, but I haven't used it in years, mainly because of the effect on bike handling- made the Viner feel a bit cumbersome. Panniers on the Litespeed don't have the same effect.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Why are you reluctant to fit a rack? The Tor Tec Ultralite is currently discounted to £21 in some shops, is lighter than a water bottle and a rack-top bag wouldn't affect aerodynamics much.

I had one of these and one of the legs snapped after two or three years (where my pannier had rubbed it a bit). I've gone to one that is _much_ heavier than a water bottle.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have the SQR block on one of my foldy bikes and am perfectly happy with it. I use.l it in preference to the fitted rack.

Personally I've never had a problem with the hoops snapping even with switching from bike to bike a couple of times, but others on here have complained that the hoops are a weak point.

You are not restricted to Caradice bags either, the frame will fit to and support other bags.

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/commuting-with-a-carradice-issues-observations.101655/post-3801178 mentioned one. Maybe @jefmcg or @ajimbobr would post a review?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-on-here-own-carradice-sql-tour-slim-trek.69620/ has a few more comments.

Mainly because my current (admittedly older) rack/pannier combo, was a PITA to fit; fit screw here, fit same screw on the other side, wiggle bracket around, disconnect brake, then fit bracket, more wiggling, reconnect brake, reset brake, re adjust mudguards. Getting the thing off involved the same procedure in reverse, only by time I wanted it off the bike, the thing would have been on the bike for some time because it was such a PITA to put it on/off. By which time I am whispering a silent prayer that the fixings, particularly near the hub haven't seized. Which one of them had done last time and had to be drilled out. And it's not exactly what you'd call a convenient shape for storage when off the bike.

May be more up to date racks don't go through the same rigmarole, fold away and store like an origami kit from IKEA and may be stainless fittings would save the seizing, but I am scarred.

The Topeak seat/post bag which currently sits on my bike and carries my riding spares kit and can carry a couple of other bits and pieces is great. If I want to remove it for whatever reason, remove velcro round the seat post and two snaplocks has it off. Similarly when refitting or fitting it to my hybrid.. My Garmin takes longer to connect to satellites than it does for me to reconnect the seat/post bag.

My biggest concern was the effect on bike handling. Not that its normal load of a pair of keks, shirt, socks and my lunch would weigh that much, but there might be other times when there could be more, even on my commute; say a cold morning but warm afternoon.

alvintc

Veteran
I have the tour fitted. Have done for a number of years, any specific questions? Mines been fitted to:
Carrera TDF - about 2k miles
Giant Defy 1 - just under 3k
Cannondale Super X Ultegra - 2.4k & counting...

I tend to carry
Work trousers & shirt
Underwear
Waterproofs
Multitool
Couple of tubes/ links etc

Never had any issues at all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OK @Bazzer - you've got a different use case to me. My lightweight racks stay on the bikes, so storage doesn't matter and removal and fitting is less of a concern, but I do sometimes have to remove them and stainless and anti-seize has so far prevented them seizing (unlike a couple of mudguard fixings!). I've carried some moderately silly loads on them and I understand rear racks affect handling much less than seat post beams (which I've not used), wide or long saddlebags or large handlebar bags (which I have used), because they secure near the rear hub as well as the top of the main frame - especially with rack bag rather than panniers.

its normal load of a pair of keks, shirt, socks and my lunch
Change of clothes, rather than naked cycling, I hope! :laugh:

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

I have the tour fitted. Have done for a number of years, any specific questions? Mines been fitted to:
Carrera TDF - about 2k miles
Giant Defy 1 - just under 3k
Cannondale Super X Ultegra - 2.4k & counting...

I tend to carry
Work trousers & shirt
Underwear
Waterproofs
Multitool
Couple of tubes/ links etc

Never had any issues at all.

Would (generally) be fitted to a Cannondale Synapse, although there would be times it would be on a heavy steel Raleigh.
From what you carry it would certainly be capable for my needs and I suspected as much from the dimensions. As I said my main concern was the effect on handling in daily use. Obviously if If I have nicked a couple of house bricks and stuffed them in there, I'd expect the back end (of the bike) to be a bit twitchy, but for your typical carry do you find any effect on handling?

I've got an SQR block on 2 bikes, and a barley with a frame and and SQR tour slim. I now regard the rings as consumables. As they are very light, only £3+postage for a pair, easily replaced and last somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 km, I think that is acceptable. I've added a pair to my tool kit, and expect to use them in about 3 years.

You need a fair amount of seat post exposed to fit the bag, and mine has stretched a little, so if I fill it, it can press on the mudguard and tyre. I've cinched it with a pair of toe straps, and that has fixed the problem.

It's great for commuting, comfortably taking a 13" laptop in a sleeve, and lots of other kit. Never had any problems even with heavy rain. As above, always used with a mudguard, so never subjected to a continuous spray of muddy water.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
handling is not an issue to worry about, you won't notice its there, its like any rail or saddle loop mounted bag really, it is so close to to your body and centre of gravity you just adjust naturally to it it being there as if it were a part of you.

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

Thank you both. I have sufficient clearance and in the lght of the comments, think I will look into taking up the cyclescheme offer.

Top Bottom