Commuting with a Carradice - Issues/Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I didn't like my long flap camper bouncing around so had a look at the supports, then fitted a basic rack to the bike. It sits at just the right height to keep the saddlebag square on and means that I can also fit panniers to that bike. (Hopefully I'll be doing a few overnight and weekenders up to Derbyshire on that bike this year. fingers firmly crossed ^_^)

ajimbobr

Hi all.
New to this forum.

Got a London to Paris ride coming up and finally got too fed up commuting with the rucksack today so started looking at alternative solutions.
Narrowed it down to three options, the SQR Tour and Slim, from which I have decided Slim would be the best fit for my short seatpost and folded shirt carrying needs for work.
However I also got pointed in the direction of the Bridge Street saddlebag. It looks like a modern take on the carradice. Similar QR fixing, more lightweight, modern materials.

Does anyone have any experience with one or have advice on which option to go for?

thanks in advance!

I have the SQR Tour and am delighted with it. Holds loads, so a good option if you need to pack a fair bit. I've done a 3 day ride using it and managed to cram all the clothes, snacks and tools that I needed into it, and I use it for commuting daily with lunchbox etc. Are you doing the L2P unsupported?

Hi all.
Got a London to Paris ride coming up and finally got too fed up commuting with the rucksack today so started looking at alternative solutions.
Narrowed it down to three options, the SQR Tour and Slim, from which I have decided Slim would be the best fit for my short seatpost and folded shirt carrying needs for work.
However I also got pointed in the direction of the Bridge Street saddlebag. It looks like a modern take on the carradice. Similar QR fixing, more lightweight, modern materials.

Does anyone have any experience with one or have advice on which option to go for?

thanks in advance!

After clicking the link, I don't think the Bridge Street bags are equivalent. I've got an SQR Slim, and that will take a 13" laptop, A4 folders, folded clothes etc. The Bridge St bags are more for touring and recreation, where you don't have laptop or tablet, iron clothes or paper work.

ajimbobr

Thanks for the replies. Think i will go for the SQR Slim then, seems a better multi-use all rounder, commuting and longer multi-day rides

EasyPeez, yes i'm doing L2P unsupported in August yes, four of us with single gears. Staying in B&Bs along the way rather than carrying camping gear though.

clid61

Veteran
WP_20150612_003.jpg
I use one of these

four of us with single gears
:eek:

Wow! You must be very fit, or taking a different route to the one we did. I don't think I could get up some of those hills without gears, esp fully laden.

I think the only difference in the Super C Slim and Tour is that the Tour which I have has side pockets on and the slim doesn't. I'd recommend the Tour if doing a long journey as it's useful to be able to get to things like phone, keys, inner tubes quickly and easily in the side pockets rather than having to unpack the main bag to root stuff out. Good bags anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you get.
Good luck with the ride :smile:

Top Bottom