Commuting with a Carradice - Issues/Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok a while ago I bought a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddlebag for when I go to Dieppe, doing the LEL etc. Today I thought I'd try using it for my commute instead of a backpack. Here's the pros and cons from the route in:

Pros

It doesn't put pressure on my cracked rib. Particularly important at the mo.
It kept everything dry.
I felt "free-er" on the bike

Cons

It made the bike feel weird particularly out of the saddle
There are no internal pockets for stuff like cufflinks, watch, tiepin etc
It's all buckles and straps so seems a bit of a faff.

I've managed to rig up a shoulder strap for it for when I'm moving around through the building which is good. For the other cons I suppose it's just a case of getting used to a change in routine (I could stop wearing a tie I suppose).

Does anyone have any tips for adapting?

BSRU

A Human Being
Apparently there is a new mount coming out in the summer which reduces the bouncing around of the saddle back.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Apparently there is a new mount coming out in the summer which reduces the bouncing around of the saddle back.
I forgot to mention I do have a bagman so I didn't notice it bouncing around too much. When out of the saddle, it's just that there's extra weight behind the back wheel where I'm not used to it.

BSRU

A Human Being
The new mount clamps to the saddle rails and the seat post, the mount I have only clamps to the saddle rails and it does move up and down, not a lot I should say.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Does anyone have any tips for adapting?

Like any change from the norm, you will get used to it very quickly.

My bike felt weird when i first started using two full panniers - especially on descents.

Now it feels weird unloaded.

Jezston

Über Member
It's all buckles and straps so seems a bit of a faff.

I have a Cadet, which I think is the same as yours but without the side pockets. Thinking of getting a junior as the Cadet is actually a little unecessary large for the commute (sure I can fit basic tools and a change of clothes in the Junior) and was planning on unstitching the leather straps and sticking on some velcro.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
For things like cufflinks, watches etc... I split them up by wrapping them in a plastic bag, this also adds a bit of protection from other things in the bag.

You get used to the extra weight that is further back and higher up. It feels very weird to me every time i'm out of the saddle on a bike without a carradice bag or a pannier bag.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Put your watch, cufflinks, tie-pin etc in a (small) zip-loc bag in the saddlebag. Easier to locate on arrival, all together and safe.

This is assuming your side-pockets are full of the cycling-specific-carry-at-all-times-stuff like spare tubes, bonk rations .... ;)

You could also put your week's supply of clothings in it at the start of the week and bring it home in dribs and drabs; it's a very large bag, the Nelson Longflap :thumbsup: (just sold mine - replaced with a Barley :smile: )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I actually find riding the 'other' road bikes without any 'commute addons' difficult at first as they are hard to hold on to, until your muscles get used to the feel again.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for all the advice. I think the small plastic bag idea is a good one and I'll try that tomorrow.

I find the Nelson has just enough room for all my stuff for the day plus sandwiches (if I don't use the longflap capability). I've yet to try fitting my laptop in it (but I'm leaving this for a bit given my recent tendency of losing contact with the road!!)

Top Bottom