Commuting with a Carradice - Issues/Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheers Potsy! I couldn't get to my pic from work. Rather than the saddlepack in the pic I now have the expedition bagman attached and there's still room for that light to be fitted underneath on the seatpost! :tongue:

Jesus do you look like this?!:whistle:

Stretch-Armstrong-image-3.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Supurb - The Bagman Expedition (QR or standard) will offer a lot of support as its quite a bit thing, some people swear by the SQR support that attaches to the seat post but I think it lacks a certain style:becool:
I swear by the SQR and I think it lacks any style at all. Ghastly looking thing. Fortunately once on the bike I can't see it.

RedRider

Pulling through
I wrap my tools (pump/spanner) in a tea towel and attach them to the wooden dowelling with an old toe clip strap (a tip I picked up here I think) but with a couple of zip ties and some fettling ingenuity I reckon some sort of zipped purse for smaller bits and bobs could be hung from the dowelling in a similar way.

I love the look of my Nelson (black version..yay) and I've been blown away by how waterproof it's proved over recent weeks.

Mine came with metal 'D' hooks already in place for a shoulder strap which must be a recent innovation. Very handy.

The only issue has been the quick release (saddle rail clamp version). The little finger handles you pull back to release the bag have fallen out one after the other causing the small sprung bars which the bag hangs from to ping out of the side, lost forever. Carradice replaced these by return of post and free of charge (made me feel all warm inside) and I've solved the prooblem by superglueing the new finger handles firmly in place.

I wrap my tools (pump/spanner) in a tea towel and attach them to the wooden dowelling with an old toe clip strap (a tip I picked up here I think) but with a couple of zip ties and some fettling ingenuity I reckon some sort of zipped purse for smaller bits and bobs could be hung from the dowelling in a similar way.

The Super C (and, IIRC, the Camper) has a multiple pocket inside by the dowel. One zipped compartment and three held by poppers.

I love the look of my Nelson (black version..yay) and I've been blown away by how waterproof it's proved over recent weeks.

Mine came with metal 'D' hooks already in place for a shoulder strap which must be a recent innovation. Very handy.

The only issue has been the quick release (saddle rail clamp version). The little finger handles you pull back to release the bag have fallen out one after the other causing the small sprung bars which the bag hangs from to ping out of the side, lost forever. Carradice replaced these by return of post and free of charge (made me feel all warm inside) and I've solved the prooblem by superglueing the new finger handles firmly in place.

Both of mine have those rings, this pic shows one without them but the leather loops are still there for threading something else (Ring from a keyring?) through for you to hook onto instead?

2991797987_4092c23a4e_z.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cheers I will give it a go.

Forgot to mention; if you are going to do this, it might be a good idea to turn your seatpost clamp back to front, i.e. with the nut and bolt towards the front of the bike. I found that mine rubbed against the saddle bag and nearly wore through the canvas :ohmy:. Obviously it depends on your seat height etc. whether this is going to be an issue or not, but just to be aware!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well I can confirm that the bag is waterproof. In hindsight, I'm not sure that riding into a rainstorm with my work laptop in it was THE way to find out though! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1843197, member: 1314"]Saddlebag is my next buy. Bye-bye rucksack.[/quote]
It's weird User!! I almost toppled over tonight because I forgot that the bike was heavier than I'm used to. However, particularly with summer coming up, there's something nice about not wearing a backpack!

[QUOTE 1843242, member: 1314"]Yep. And I've had enough of carrying 12 cans of beer home in my rucksack from the supermarket - weight has knackered the zip. Anyone would think I'm an alkie etc...[/quote]

Only 12 lol I got three bottles of wine into my Barley once:cheers:

Top Bottom