Commuting with a Carradice - Issues/Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok a while ago I bought a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddlebag for when I go to Dieppe, doing the LEL etc. Today I thought I'd try using it for my commute instead of a backpack. Here's the pros and cons from the route in:

Pros

It doesn't put pressure on my cracked rib. Particularly important at the mo.
It kept everything dry.
I felt "free-er" on the bike

Cons

It made the bike feel weird particularly out of the saddle
There are no internal pockets for stuff like cufflinks, watch, tiepin etc
It's all buckles and straps so seems a bit of a faff.

I've managed to rig up a shoulder strap for it for when I'm moving around through the building which is good. For the other cons I suppose it's just a case of getting used to a change in routine (I could stop wearing a tie I suppose).

Does anyone have any tips for adapting?

Hi There:hello:

I use a Barley (9 litres) or Longflap Lowsaddle (15litres) depending on how much I carry, the fist tip I have is to use a Bagman Support. Although the weight will still be on the saddle it will stop swinging as much, if you get the QR version you only now have 1 strap to faff with rather than 3 and for the Nelson you'd need the expedition model. Do measure before you buy though as if your saddle is low it may not fit.

For packing, I sometimes use a washbag as a inner bag for smaller items but tend to just have everything in the main compartment. I think my main difference is I can commute in my work clothes so I don't have cufflinks/ties etc to carry.

Carrying it I use a shoulder strap from a fishing bag I had, it looks pretty much like any other shoulder/courier bag like this although the rear lights can give it away!

Ps Did you go Green (yay!) or Black (Boo Hiss!)?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Black for better reflective purposes on LEL and when I'm riding during the night (e.g. my proposed Nelson ride will be kicking off at around midnight, hope to be in Nuneaton by 6am).

You'll get used to the weight. Then you'll find 'unladen' bikes feel wierd ! :laugh:

Absolutely!

I use a Super C (slightly smaller than a Camper Longflap, but still huge). It dampens the movement of the bike, so I can honk in a much straighter line. My saddlebag carries all kinds of stuff, including tools, spares, and first aid kit. If I want to go shopping, I can fit a few bits & pieces in the Super C, but, if I want to pick up more, I have the small Super C panniers.

On most of my bikes I have the Bagman QR attachment, but a pannier rack, so the saddlebag sits on that. On my Woodrup, it is on a full Bagman Expedition.

Carrying it off the bike is the worst downside. You can attach a strap to the rings on the top, but the stitching isn't quite strong enough for regular use (and I use mine every day - carrying it at some point most days).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the pendulum effect can be wearing if you are an out-of-the-saddle traffic light sprinter it's true. But I'm not. (However since I bought a Crumpler Seedy 3 bag secondhand off User I've scarcely moved on the bike without it strapped to me)

I compartmentalise mine with waitrose carrier bags, zip loc and a couple of lezyne caddy sacks. Standards must be maintained as you say.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Carrying it off the bike is the worst downside. You can attach a strap to the rings on the top, but the stitching isn't quite strong enough for regular use (and I use mine every day - carrying it at some point most days).
The SQR jobbie thing I use, butt ugly but effective, has a handy carry handle.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The new mount clamps to the saddle rails and the seat post, the mount I have only clamps to the saddle rails and it does move up and down, not a lot I should say.

I found that a bungee cord does a good job of keeping my Carradice steady. Attach one end to the metal hoops on top of the bag, then round the bag and seatpost, back onto the metal hoop on the other side of the top of the bag. Cheapskate solution but it works!

BSRU

A Human Being
I found that a bungee cord does a good job of keeping my Carradice steady. Attach one end to the metal hoops on top of the bag, then round the bag and seatpost, back onto the metal hoop on the other side of the top of the bag. Cheapskate solution but it works!
Cheers I will give it a go.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Mine seems steady just sat on the bagman with a strap around the bagman support, it's just the back of the bike that seems to sway more when I'm out of the saddle. As people have said I'm sure I'll get used to it.

My shoulder strap came from a laptop case that I don't need.

The caddy idea is a good one, cheers Greg.

And yes, as Potsy alluded to, there really is no issue with the space between my saddle and the rear wheel, could probably fit a full Army backpack in that space!! :tongue:

Mine seems steady just sat on the bagman with a strap around the bagman support, it's just the back of the bike that seems to sway more when I'm out of the saddle. As people have said I'm sure I'll get used to it.

My shoulder strap came from a laptop case that I don't need.

The caddy idea is a good one, cheers Greg.

And yes, as Potsy alluded to, there really is no issue with the space between my saddle and the rear wheel, could probably fit a full Army backpack in that space!! :tongue:

Supurb - The Bagman Expedition (QR or standard) will offer a lot of support as its quite a bit thing, some people swear by the SQR support that attaches to the seat post but I think it lacks a certain style:becool:

potsy

Rambler
Supurb - The Bagman Expedition (QR or standard) will offer a lot of support as its quite a bit thing, some people swear by the SQR support that attaches to the seat post but I think it lacks a certain style:becool:
DSCN2082.JPG

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use the SQR Tour, which i really like and its got a valuables pocket. A bit more modern looking, nice drawstring and clip close instead of straps, but it does look a hell of a lot less like a man-bag when you take it into a pub in normal clothes. Amazingly it also perfectly holds a 12 pack of beer with space for snacks - although despite being aerodynamic, the high position of the weight is odd for balance and probably not good for the bag/bracket.

I just realised this "review" might aswell say "if youre an alcoholic this is the bag for you!".

Top Bottom