Commuting with a Carradice - Issues/Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Just found this thread, thought I'd bring it back to life.

New bike coming in a few days, it has rack mounts, as does my Day One Alfine which I use with panniers. But I've only recently become aware of Carradice Bagman systems. Is it realistic to carry:

• 2 shirts
  • Underwear / socks
  • Towel
  • Trousers
By means of a Bagman with appropriate bag? How does your gear handle creases when 'stuffed' into a Carradice (with Bagman support)?

Which bag would you recommend? I'd rather aim for overall low weight. I know I could go panniers again, but I really like the idea of having my gear behind me for various reasons. Firstly because I have a long Sustrans path to work that is littered with those ridiculous pieces of iron work that are supposed to stop motorbikes. Lastly, I think the bike will feel slightly zippier using bagman plus a carradice vs a Tortec with Ortliebs.

Thanks.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Got an SQR mount and a large, no name, cotton duck bag (bit bigger than a Barley). Like you, my commute is mostly on a Sustrans path with A frame stiles so the bag scores over panniers every time.
Take a clean, easy care shirt in every day. It's folded carefully and is the last thing into the bag. When I get to work I hang it up in the shower room while I'm getting showered so that the steam helps any creases drop out. Works a treat. Keks are chinos, which don't suffer as much as shirts when stuffed into the bag. All that other stuff you carry won't be seen so it doesn't matter if it gets creased.
Towel is one of those microfiber jobs (clean one every day). Once I've use it I take it out to the bike shed and clip it to my top tube as there's nowhere to dry it inside. I find they get very whiffy if you don't dry them quickly.

dodgy

Thanks Jon. I also use the hot shower trick to drop the creases, it's the first thing I do when I get into the shower room. Hang my shirts, put the water on hot then sort myself out before stepping into the shower, it does work very well. I also use a microfibre towel, I highly recommend them, they dry quick after use, too.

Wondering if anyone here went from rack+panniers to bagman+carradice bag or vice versa and reasons? I thought I was quite knowledgeable about cycling, having been a cyclist all my 49 years, but until recently I've never commuted and also never toured, but that might change in summer, I fancy doing some out and back trips with an overnighter.

Thanks for the help.

Origamist

Legendary Member
@dodgy

You'd have no problem getting that payload into pretty much any Carradice bag. I had the SQR Tour for years and with its capacious 16L capacity, panniers were overkill for my commute. It's was also waterproof, durable and more aerodynamic than panniers. The only reason I moved over to an Alpkit Koala was the substantial weight saving. However, this large saddle bag requires more careful packing and can't support the weight of 8 cans of lager like the Carradice...

dodgy

Thanks @Origamist , I can't believe I've been obsessing about panniers and rack mounts when I could have just gone for a Carradice with either SQR or Bagman! As you say, panniers are overkill for a lot of commuting requirements.

Now to choose between SQR or Bagman support.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Have you seen the bagman 2? A much better version of the bagman that offers better support to the bag and the rack. Looks like the following, does seem hard to get now though - http://practicalcycles.com/products/237471--carradice-bagman-2-expedition-saddlebag-support.aspx

carradice-bagman2-sport-qr.jpg

This does of course mean that you need to have upper rack mounts.

dodgy

Hi Gaz, I'm still researching but I've come to the conclusion that the Bagman 2 was withdrawn and now you can only buy 'Bagman original' from Carradice? I heard the Bagman 2 used lighter materials, maybe alloy instead of steel and consequently some of them failed.

Could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me. I only carry light loads, specifically, shirt, trousers, underwear. Smart office environment.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hi Gaz, I'm still researching but I've come to the conclusion that the Bagman 2 was withdrawn and now you can only buy 'Bagman original' from Carradice? I heard the Bagman 2 used lighter materials, maybe alloy instead of steel and consequently some of them failed.

Could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me. I only carry light loads, specifically, shirt, trousers, underwear. Smart office environment.
That would explain why i'm finding it so hard to find one. I have one that I use occasionally and don't have any issues, it is made of an alloy.

The bagman is good, would get one with QR otherwise it is a fiddle to remove it.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Reactions: gaz

Origamist

Legendary Member
I think that is the one @Origamist has.

Almost, Gaz. Good memory!

It looks like Dodgy has gone for the slim version which is good for trousers etc due to its extra width and better if you don't have much seatpost showing. I went for the standard version as I wanted the two side pockets for putting in tools, bananas, rain mac etc for easy and quick access.

Good choice, Dodgy.

dodgy

I'm just amazed that I wasn't aware of these products, for years convincing myself that commuting could only be done by rucksack, messenger bag or panniers. <-- last few months I've done all of these!

Just proves that you don't stop learning in cycling,

Last edited:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I do love my carradice, have a few of them. Due to having to carry a laptop and clothes, lunch etc due to hot desking at work the camper can be small. However posting up as having issues with my bagman. I need my saddle as fwd as my rails will allow due to being short. The bagman attaches via the rails which means it messes up the fore aft and means the saddle ends up causing pain which I've tolerated for a while. It's been suggested I should use an inline seatpost. Anyone attach their bagman in a creative way not using the rails? I need a bodge solution.

Issues: small frame means low wheel clearance and not much expised seatpost.

No loops and fitting cycloloops means they sit too far under the spesh saddle.

Would really appreciate any ideas!

Top Bottom