Commuting with a Carradice - Issues/Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
One side of the quick release mechanism on my bagman qr has come apart. I've emailed Carradice and am hoping that their legendary customer service will sort it out. In the meantime a ziptie is making a reasonable substitute.

Just made my order after speaking with Margaret at Carradice :smile:

One of these! http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&url=sqrslim

I like being able to get the bike back to weekend mode by whipping off the bag and not leaving a bagman in place.

How are you finding the SQR @dodgy ? Will one of those take a lunchbox plus a bike lock, wallet, keys and towel?

I'm about to get myself a Carradice and was eyeing up the Pendle in green and orange. It looks classier than the SQR imho but there again I like how simple the SQR is to whip off at weekends, and I'm not sure about the bagman...don't like the sound of @winjim 's issues and I kind of resent paying £45 for what is effectively a bit of bent metal!
For those who have the bagman, is it a quick job to unscrew it from the bike when not in use?
Cheers.

dodgy

The SQR has been a tremendous success for me, completely revolutionised the way I think about commuting logistics. I can get 2 pairs of trousers, 2 shirts, towel + laptop in mine no problem, though I seldom actually need to carry the laptop.

I'd buy the same again, I'm convinced panniers are huge overkill for most commuting, I regret buying my Ortlieb panniers for my Genesis Day One Alfine just before Christmas, the SQR is much less fuss, better aerodynamically (just trust me, I don't have the science to back it up :smile: ).

dodgy

Forgot to mention, when I put my folded clothes in the SQR, they lay flat in the bag, so they don't get creased like they can do in a pannier as they tend to fall to the bottom of the bag under their own weight.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm not sure about the bagman...don't like the sound of @winjim 's issues and I kind of resent paying £45 for what is effectively a bit of bent metal!
To update, I should add that the ever helpful Margaret very promptly sorted me out with some spare parts and my Bagman is now back in full working order.

RedRider

Pulling through
To update, I should add that the ever helpful Margaret very promptly sorted me out with some spare parts and my Bagman is now back in full working order.
Same thing happened on mine a couple of years ago and Margaret sorted it out. it happened again so I bodged a new pin out of a tack and used a spot of super glue to hold it in place.
I use the bagman quick release but without the rack part attached. The nelson sits on my mudguard instead While the barley just hangs. IMAG0268_1.jpg

I can get 2 pairs of trousers, 2 shirts, towel + laptop in mine no problem, though I seldom actually need to carry the laptop.
Wow, that's pretty impressive! I guess it must swing a bit going round corners/pedalling out of the saddle when it's heavily laden, what with it not having a proper metal support?
It seems like the better option for price and practicality (can't see the Pendle holding that much?) but I still prefer the look of the Pendle and like the idea of a proper support to keep it nice and taut.....hmmm, if only there was a way to try before you buy!

Can anyone offer any feedback on how quick and easy the Bagman is to whip on and off? And is it ok to do that every weekend? For example, i know it wouldn't be a major job to take panniers on and off but I wouldn't want to do it every weekend as I can't think it would do them much good in the long run to constantly be releasing the tension then cranking them on again. Would the same apply to the Bagman or would that be easy to keep screwing on and taking off again without weakening/damaging it? And how effective is it at keeping the bag from sway and bounce?
Thanks for your guidance everyone :-)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Same thing happened on mine a couple of years ago and Margaret sorted it out. it happened again so I bodged a new pin out of a tack and used a spot of super glue to hold it in place.
I use the bagman quick release but without the rack part attached. The nelson sits on my mudguard instead While the barley just hangs. View attachment 80194
Do you think Margaret's a real person? Or is she like the Dread Pirate Roberts, just a mythical name that gets passed down through the generations?

dodgy

Wow, that's pretty impressive! I guess it must swing a bit going round corners/pedalling out of the saddle when it's heavily laden, what with it not having a proper metal support?

Actually, not at all. I use some road bands of rubber cut from old road inner tubes for my 27.2mm seatpost, they fit perfectly. The bands of the SQR block go over them, means you don't have to tighten the bracket up very much to get a really good grip. The Carradice instructions actually mention this tip.

I've just bought a spare seatpost and saddle so that when I'm out without needing the SQR, I just insert the new post and saddle and remove the post with the SQR block. Saves about 200g, no big deal, but I've spent a lot of money on a fairly light bike.

The trump card is now I have a dedicated SQR seatpost and saddle, it will fit in all 3 of my bikes, so all my bikes are up to commuting - even the lightweight Rose carbon Di2.

Well, I went for the SQR Super C Tour over the Pendle + Bagman in the end, through necessity rather than choice - once in the LBS it became clear that my bike wouldn't take the Bagman at the height I have my saddle, but the Super C fitted fine. Having now done around 100 miles with the Super C on I'm glad this decision was forced on me - it takes an enormous amount (this morning I came to work with my SLR camera, lunchbox, spare shoes, wallet, 2 sets of keys, inner tube, multitool and still had room to spare!), it swings and bounces very little, costs a lot less than a bag plus bagman, has a rubber strip underneath which prevents wear when resting it onthe ground and doubles as a fab mudguard, and is a doddle to get into and to take on and off the bike.
Although not as handsome a look overall as the traditional Carradice designs, I don't think it spoils the look of the bike at all as panniers can.

Here's my bike with Super C attached:
View media item 7781
And here it is in 'performance' mode!
View media item 7784
Oh, and mine was finished by Andrea, which is nice.

Goldie

Über Member
It seems like the better option for price and practicality (can't see the Pendle holding that much?) but I still prefer the look of the Pendle and like the idea of a proper support to keep it nice and taut.....hmmm, if only there was a way to try before you buy!

Can anyone offer any feedback on how quick and easy the Bagman is to whip on and off? And is it ok to do that every weekend? For example, i know it wouldn't be a major job to take panniers on and off but I wouldn't want to do it every weekend as I can't think it would do them much good in the long run to constantly be releasing the tension then cranking them on again. Would the same apply to the Bagman or would that be easy to keep screwing on and taking off again without weakening/damaging it? And how effective is it at keeping the bag from sway and bounce?
Thanks for your guidance everyone :-)

The Bagman couldn't be easier to take on or off - it's just a single allan bolt holding the clamp together. The first time I mounted it, I thought "That'll never stay tight..." But in three years mine has only jiggled about once, and that was just down to me not tightening it up in the first place. The Bagman compltely kills the swing btw, even when the bag's fully loaded.

I've got a Pendle, and it is pretty impressive how much you can stuff inside one. But if I was buying again for my commute, I'd probably go for the College, so that I could fit files in it.

Top Bottom