Carrera Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
I’m on the look out for a hack bike and wonder if the Carrera’s are just BSO’s or an ok hack. Don’t want a heavy beast but really mind entry level basic kit. Anyone got experience of these?

Will be interesting to hear people's feedback as there seems to be quite a lot around at the moment on the second-hand market at quite cheap prices...but maybe that says something about their quality???

Levo-Lon

Guru
i was in halfords Saturday, and had a quick look at the Carera bikes.
my sister asked my abvice due to theft of BiL bike from town this week.
so needs a cheap bike for work.
the stolen bike cost them £900 with a 300 excess!! on the insurance.
so the logic is go cheap as the bike gets left in town all day .

they seem ok ,yes they will be in the 14kg area mtb but for a nip to bike i think they appear ok.
Shimano gears ,shifters and some even have disc brakes at a low price point.

go and view would be my abvice.

OP
OP
fixedfixer

fixedfixer

Veteran
I was looking second hand. There are a few TdF models that appear to have had very little use with asking price of £150 ish

vickster

Legendary Member
Components are pretty low end on the roadbikes, frames are quite heavy too. I’d look for a used Defy maybe or a Decathlon triban

Usual rules apply when buying used to check not stolen. Original owner should be able to provide a receipt imo

Drago

Legendary Member
Carerra does have the odd blip in the range, but in general are no nonsense, workmanlike steeds. The highlights of the range were always the Subway and the mid-level MTB, the Kraken. Value is reasonable, particularly if you hang on until one of the numerous Bank Holiday sales, where bargains abound, occasionally as low as half price.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Chap has a Carerra MTB and it’s his workhorse bike. Goes everywhere, does everything and he thinks that it’s wonderful. He has some very nice bikes too so not one of the uninformed. I had a carerra roadie, at one point. Nothing wrong wit it at all. Nice ride, reliable as the day was long.

wisdom

Guru
Youngest son has a carerra mtb.ally frame hydraulic discs but it was a cheap buy new.
Now here is the difference.
Due to the constant abuse a 20 yr old can throw at a bike.And it's used everyday as a commuter as well the drivetrain is truly shot.Front triple is more than well worn rear casette the same.
It's really uneconimical to replace the components so he has now bought a new GT hybrid which has much better components and is a lot better made.
So in reality it' served him well and doesn't owe him anything as it was only £180.00 new and has given him around 6 yrs of pleasure.All in all its been great but in reality can' be upgraded.

Last edited:

Maenchi

StoneDog
years ago when I was looking for a cheap second hand bike all I kept finding was Carrera's ..........did'nt like them much..............I kept looking until I found and old Kona........:bicycle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why limit yourself to the Carerra range? They're a budget bike with budget components. As @Maenchi says above there are loads of used better quality bikes on places like Gumtree, take your pick.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Depends what you want. Mrs ND has a Carrera Subway hybrid and loves it.
To be fair I can see why as it's genuinely difficult to fault at the money.

If buying new don't pay retail though as there is always an offer on the horizon.

Top Bottom