Carrera Crixus stolen - Can't teach a 14 yr old other than by experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My son saved up for & bought a new Carrera Crixus CX bike over 2 years ago but he has gone off using it for anything other than utility rides.

We've been on at him to lock it, and not to leave his stuff (particularly fishing gear) lying around the front garden even though we live in a quiet cul-de-sac as there have been plenty of reports of van drivers prowling around looking for things to lift.

Well, last night he rode off to the local pond which is about 50 yards square if that. Leaning his bike against the railings adjacent to the pavement, with his fishing rod & bag on the ground he walked round the pond gazing into the water looking for a good spot to fish.

Although there were three or four other people sitting around the pond, when he got back his bike had been nicked. Even had a cable lock around the headset which he'd not bothered to use. His fishing stuff was left. Nobody saw anything..

We went out on bikes & in a car looking at all the local beauty spots in the hope we'd spot the bike but to no avail. I hope it has taught him a lesson. He has a D-lock which lives in his bedroom, perhaps he'll use it in future.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
He will hopefully have learnt his lesson. I am continually stressing the importance of locking the bikes up to my two kids, even if just nipping into a shop for a packet of crisps (this is when it is most likely to go!). It does help focus their attention when a bike has actually been nicked from them. My oldest had a bike stolen from school even though it was locked and he is now really good about locking up his bikes all the time.
You might get your stolen bike back if you are lucky. I have recovered two bikes after theft, one a nice Kona MTB back in the 90's that was stolen from my younger brother. The other was my sons Bitsa MTB that was taken from the school. I apprehended a group of kids using it and confronted them. They gave it up after some persuasion but unfortunately the bike had been pillaged for most of the decent kit I most wanted back.
Give it a week or two and it will likely reappear once they think the heat is off.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
He will hopefully have learnt his lesson. I am continually stressing the importance of locking the bikes up to my two kids, even if just nipping into a shop for a packet of crisps (this is when it is most likely to go!). It does help focus their attention when a bike has actually been nicked from them. My oldest had a bike stolen from school even though it was locked and he is now really good about locking up his bikes all the time.
You might get your stolen bike back if you are lucky. I have recovered two bikes after theft, one a nice Kona MTB back in the 90's that was stolen from my younger brother. The other was my sons Bitsa MTB that was taken from the school. I apprehended a group of kids using it and confronted them. They gave it up after some persuasion but unfortunately the bike had been pillaged for most of the decent kit I most wanted back.
Give it a week or two and it will likely reappear once they think the heat is off.

Thanks - yes - I have a few alerts set up and will be out & about locally - one problem is that it is a very popular model for parents to buy their kids so chances of spotting his actual one without offending a couple of innocent kids are fairly slim - still, I'll be very polite..

Unfortunately experience is sometimes the best teacher. My son had his stolen on his paper round, when he was about the same age, after I'd told him not to leave it unlocked outside the shop. it upset him greatly and the lesson was learned. It never fully got replaced as I built him a crap bike for his paper round which has now been stripped again and he's got another to go to Uni on bought from some bloke called, I like Skol, who will be pleased to know it's already being used a lot and has done a 40 miler and some off road stuff on the Slate Trail in Capel over the wknd and he's just gone the pub on it.

dfthe1

I am continually stressing the importance of locking the bikes up to my two kids

I've tried that with my two kids but I still think a sturdy fence is more secure. ;-)

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Pleased to say that he learnt to lock his bike after a van driver assaulted the replacement with a hammer today.

The Raleigh D-lock stood up long enough for the thief to be disturbed although the frame has some nasty dents.
FB_IMG_1507322522557.jpg
FB_IMG_1507322504693.jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
Won't like the post, but do you think he may now have been targeted. At least the second time.

I think bike theft in Bristol is that rampant really. I won't take either of my bikes into town and leave them unattended due to the amount that go missing on daily basis.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Won't like the post, but do you think he may now have been targeted. At least the second time.

We've considered that, but it was a man in a white van seen trying to steal the bike.

It was opportunistic, and parked by a busy road, I think he was disturbed. I have suggested that Luke parks further away from the road in future.

Top Bottom