Carrera Crossfuse Battery Range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Clearly when turning it "off" it's not logging your miles, as you've just surmised.

The mpg claims for ICE vehicles are for standardised tests which include starting up, and a mix of different speeds. There's an "urban cycle" (lots of stop start, lower max speeds) an "extra urban cycle" with less stop start and more cruising at a set speed to represent a longer drive across A roads and motorway. They are all done inside on a rolling road for consistency. They're only useful for comparison i.e. if car A claims 50mpg on the combined cycle and car B claims 55mpg you can be reasonably sure that car B is slightly better on fuel. Unless they've fiddled it. What you can't say is you will get those figures in real world use.

The instantaneous figure your trip computer reports is only helpful to understand when you're driving economically and when you don't. It's quite easy to make it show ridiculously high mpg by backing off the throttle slightly.

EDIT: it seems the tests have changed a few years ago so you can't directly compare new figures with old. https://www.parkers.co.uk/what-is/wltp-worldwide-harmonised-light-vehicle-test-procedure/

Tbf, I always assumed the only way to achieve stated figures was the way I described. Clearly its nigh impossible to achieve headline figures with 'normal driving style'. I drive for economy 99% of the time and maybe, maybe in the summer with tyres slightly over inflated and on a long run could get somewhere near but....
Anyhoo, we can be sure ebike manufacturers are equally clever at finding some way of calculating exactly whats needed to achieve the maximum, equally, 99% of us will never replicate those conditions. It is a good comparison between make tho.

Gwylan

Veteran
It's the wild west. May as well buy some £500 cheap Chinese thing and take your chances.

Big brand does not mean anything in this case. There is no obvious EN, DIN or BS and that is exploited.

We have to head to Trading Standards and there might even be a class action

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the wild west. May as well buy some £500 cheap Chinese thing and take your chances.

Big brand does not mean anything in this case. There is no obvious EN, DIN or BS and that is exploited.

We have to head to Trading Standards and there might even be a class action

Good luck. I know you are hissed off, but its's a well known fact, that unless your device is an old Nokia mobile phone, the battery won't last as long as promised (in ideal conditions). It's advertised as up-to. I told my dad when he was looking at one, if it says 40 miles, bank on 20 to ensure it get's you home. Hit a big headwind, some hills, etc.

Same as electric cars - it 'can' do x miles, but if you boot it everywhere it won't last - just like an ICE car, and to some extent just like a human, take it easy, you'll get further, hammer it, you won't.

The teeth in the chainring are alternately wide in width, then narrow in width. It's seems to keep the chain from jumping off when riding over rough terrain. Similar idea with clutch on the rear derailleur to apply tension to the chain and reduce chain slap

Did you manage to sort this. I have the Crossfuse and my chain has been coming off far to frequently from new, and mine was a brand new replacement (not for this reason), and the chain used to come off on the previous one. I use it purely for computing on flat road. It can come off on a straight run, but is worse on a slight pothole etc. It can be better quite dangerous especially when in a flow of moving traffic. The Crossfuse came in two variants (down to shortage of parts) Mine came with Microshift shifters and derailleur. Is yours Microshift or Shimano? Halfords are in the process of changing (under warranty) my cassette, derailleur+shifters to Shimano Alivio, chain, front chainring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom