Carrera frame project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Recently I've been thinking what to do with all the bits I had accumulated for that Carlton frame. I figured that they would just sit there indefinitely unless I got another frame to put them on.. so I bought this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Carrera-Celeste-racer-frameset/192723733258?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

DSC_1842.jpg

As you might be able to see it has cleaned up rather nicely and I have got the front brake off... but there is a small problem. As you can see from the following two pics there is a boss that the brake threaded onto. Its an ACOR (which I had never heard of). As the seller says in the description, the hex socket in the boss has rounded, so the only way I can think of to remove it is to hacksaw a slot in it and use a flat screwdriver... unless you have another idea?

Oh yeah, and the bottom bracket was NOT seized!

DSC_1841.jpg

DSC_1840.jpg

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm assuming it's the "internal piece" you're looking at removing. If going down the hacksaw blade route, consider a junior hacksaw blade reversed so that you cut on the pull stroke & not the push.

Less chance of damage to yourself, should the blade snag. And and a more even, controlled cut.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I'm assuming it's the "internal piece" you're looking at removing. If going down the hacksaw blade route, consider a junior hacksaw blade reversed so that you cut on the pull stroke & not the push.

Less chance of damage to yourself, should the blade snag. And and a more even, controlled cut.
Hahaha... I posted that on the forum and it was meant to be a message to Biggs682! :blush: All that fiddling about trying to get the photos uploaded took my mind off where I was posting.

Yes, you are correct, its the internal piece I need to get out. I have Weinmann centre pull brakes to go on so I don't want to use the Acor one. I'll take your advice on the hacksaw blade! Thanks :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Kempstonian is that the allen key piece that would normally retain the caliper ?
If so does it have any of the caliper bolt left in it ?
I would try and turn it will a big pr of pliers
If failing that we are around all weekend
Looking at the pics again that should just push out

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Thanks for the help guys. It looks to me like it should push out, so I'll try to do that. I've just given it a liberal dose of WD40, so in a few minutes I'll try to lever it out from the inside. I did try to grip it with large pliers but they slip off.

midlife

Guru
You can put something through the hole opposite and try knocking it out, problem is that you can splay it out making life trickier. Or you screw in a bolt from the opposite hole and hit that....

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Nice LP storage.
Four IKEA 2 x 2 units. About £32 each. Simple but effective! ^_^

I have more around the corner with books on.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

You can put something through the hole opposite and try knocking it out, problem is that you can splay it out making life trickier. Or you screw in a bolt from the opposite hole and hit that....
Yes, that might work. I'll have to see what I have in the shed.

Top Bottom