Carrera frame project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
A bit of an update...

Well Halfords reckon the back wheel can't be properly trued but they have improved it and say its rideable. I'll most likely use it on a trainer bike at some stage though. So anyway I bought a new back wheel from them and I'm going to order a front one to match it, as it has a profiled rim and the one off the fiver bike had a normal flat one. That will go on the trainer bike too.

I'm still looking for a chainset and I will have to get a front changer & gear change levers too because the fiver bike had thinner frame tubing. The changers off that won't go round the Carrera's seat & downtubes.

I also need a bottom bracket but I don't know what size to get. The BB is 70mm wide and I'll be using the five speed cassette off the fiver bike (or maybe I'll buy a new one). I'm thinking of just getting one of these chainsets, as I don't need anything fancy. I can always change it later:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

So would one of these be suitable and if so what length would I need (the blue would match the frame! lol)?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/68-x-103...var=532253674853&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I picked up another £5 bike from the scrap man the other day, for parts. Its a ladies bike - a Pendleton Dalby. The saddle was missing but all other parts were there. The wheels have, I think been replaced because the front one didn't match the rear and the rear had 7 speed gears, even though the twist grip changer was an 8 speed one.
On checking it out I think I could probably restore it rather than cannibalise it. The gear shifters didn't work but I have since found the cables were the problem, having rusted inside the outer cables. Now I have removed them the gear selectors both move freely. The derailleurs, front and rear have been taken off and cleaned, so they now move freely and look pretty good.
I think its just been neglected but there is very little wrong with it, once cleaned. The wheels are true the bottom bracket is smooth and the chainset looks as good as new now. Paintwork is dirty (its white!) but I'm going to tackle that this afternoon. The chain is pesently soaking in some derusting liquid, having already been in degreaser. I may use it - I'll have to see about that later.
The Carrera is coming along but I'm awaiting parts to be delivered, so nothing much to report there yet.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Yesterday I bought a Claud Butler! I bought it for the parts, as the frame is unsafe to ride (apparently), heving a nasty crack in the downtube. Its a real shame because the frame looks really good apart from that. A lovely metallic blue. I have no idea if its repairable (looks terminal to me though).

s-l1600 (11).jpg

The parts are all Shimano - Exage 300EX Crankset, front & rear derailleurs, Shimano RSX shifters, Mavic rims on Exage hubs, with new tyres, new 7 speed rear block, Exage sidepull brakes, alloy stem and seatpost but the bars are steel (I have spare alloy bars though).

I bid £55 on Ebay for it and was outbid by a sniper, who got it for £56... but he never followed up, so the seller offered it to me on a second chance offer. As the bike was only 15 miles away I went and picked it up yesterday. Here's some more pics:

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (12).jpg
:

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

If only I'd spotted that free Don Farrell frame earlier! It would have been perfect for all the parts on the Claud Butler... :sad:

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Right... another small problem with the Carrera. I bought the chainset and cartridge bb. The chainset looks good but I'm having a problem fitting the bb because the plastic cable guide under the bb pokes through and restricts the cartridge when I try to thread it in. Its nor screwed on like others I've seen, it seems to have a button type of thing which somehow holds it in place. One way would be to cut it off on the inside, but I'm concerned that the guide would then fall off. I suppose I could cut it and maybe replace the guide with a screw on one?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Right... another small problem with the Carrera. I bought the chainset and cartridge bb. The chainset looks good but I'm having a problem fitting the bb because the plastic cable guide under the bb pokes through and restricts the cartridge when I try to thread it in. Its nor screwed on like others I've seen, it seems to have a button type of thing which somehow holds it in place. One way would be to cut it off on the inside, but I'm concerned that the guide would then fall off. I suppose I could cut it and maybe replace the guide with a screw on one?

Does it locate without the central pin pushed in ?

If so you might get away with leaving it out

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Does it locate without the central pin pushed in ?

If so you might get away with leaving it out
The guide is just a plastic moulding with a projection that pushed through a hole in the frame and somehow held it there. I tried gently to see if it would prise out and it did flex a bit - then suddenly snapped! It was very brittle (maybe due to its age?) :sad:

So I've removed it all now and will fit a screw on one - to be ordered on Ebay tonight - but the good news is that the cartridge bb and the chainset are now on the bike. Just needs the chain putting on and the brakes & gear shifters cabling up. Oh yeah... and the bars taping. I have all the parts, so its a case of waiting until the replacement cable guide arrives.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I've been wondering if the seat tube on the Claud Butler could be welded? If so I could maybe have a panel in a contrasting colour, if the spray shop can't match the blue. I would do the head tube in that colour as well. Claud Butler decals are readily available.

Seems a shame to throw it away before at least asking a welder.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Well the Carrera is no longer just a frame...

DSC_1876.jpg
DSC_1877.jpg

Still got to put another saddle on it but its as good as finished now. I made a mistake with the pics. Putting the bike in full sunlight probably wasn't a good idea!

The ladies' Pendleton is getting there too. I need an 8 gear freewheel for it and a couple of other bits & pieces though.

Top Bottom