Carrera frame project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Mod Note:
The title of this thread has been changed on request by the OP @Kempstonian :smile:
Thanks Pat! I've been away for a while so I missed the post by @biggs682, or I would have done it myself (although I didn't see the Thread Tools tab before).

Anyway, I've shifted the offending piece in the forks. I put a large flat screwdriver in the tube against the piece to protect it, and a smaller screwdriver through the hole opposite, then hit it with a hammer. It is now far enough out that I can grip it in my vice and twist the forks whilst pulling upwards - that will get it all the way out. Stuck indoors at the moment though, waiting for a visitor.

Outlaw Hobbs

Thanks Pat! I've been away for a while so I missed the post by @biggs682, or I would have done it myself (although I didn't see the Thread Tools tab before).

Anyway, I've shifted the offending piece in the forks. I put a large flat screwdriver in the tube against the piece to protect it, and a smaller screwdriver through the hole opposite, then hit it with a hammer. It is now far enough out that I can grip it in my vice and twist the forks whilst pulling upwards - that will get it all the way out. Stuck indoors at the moment though, waiting for a visitor.
All sounds a bit messy. Since you obviously don't mind damaging the offending part why not put a drill through it to relieve the tightness and then punch it out with a drift inserted through the opposite hole in the crown?

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

All sounds a bit messy. Since you obviously don't mind damaging the offending part why not put a drill through it to relieve the tightness and then punch it out with a drift inserted through the opposite hole in the crown?
Ah, that would probably have worked but its ok mate I have managed to get it out now - and undamaged.

Grateful for all the advice though guys! :thumbsup:

Now for the build... lol

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Recently I've been thinking what to do with all the bits I had accumulated for that Carlton frame. I figured that they would just sit there indefinitely unless I got another frame to put them on.. so I bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Carrera-Celeste-racer-frameset/192723733258?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDXT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

That's the best excuse going, getting another frame just to use up some spare mechanical parts you've amassed. :laugh: You'll get three quarters of the way through this, then decide you need another donor to provide the odd missing bit, then that donor will end up with some bits left over.....repeat ad infinitum shed is full to bursting of bike projects.....
I try to source parts donors that are no good for me to actually ride on, so I have no temptation to keep them - usually by getting a Ladies frame in a small size with suitable donor mechanicals on. I find them very cheap and plentiful, more so than larger mens sizes.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

That's the best excuse going, getting another frame just to use up some spare mechanical parts you've amassed. :laugh: You'll get three quarters of the way through this, then decide you need another donor to provide the odd missing bit, then that donor will end up with some bits left over.....repeat ad infinitum shed is full to bursting of bike projects.....
I try to source parts donors that are no good for me to actually ride on, so I have no temptation to keep them - usually by getting a Ladies frame in a small size with suitable donor mechanicals on. I find them very cheap and plentiful, more so than larger mens sizes.
Funnily enough I've been offered a free ladies bike. Its in my sister's garage and hasn't been used for years. Maybe I'll take a look at it and see if there's anything useful on it. :smile:

I've already got this Townsend from my brother in law but after I had cleaned it up I found its slightly too big for me. I was going to cannibalise it for parts but I think I'll just sell it for whatever I can get and put the money towards parts I still need for the Carrera. The tyres probably need replacing but I pumped them up six weeks ago and they are still fine, so the tubes are ok. Its a 23" frame.

3.jpg
5.jpg

4.jpg

I'm also thinking of selling this, as I just don't get on with it.

2.jpg
1.jpg

That one has only done about 100 metres!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've already got this Townsend from my brother in law but after I had cleaned it up I found its slightly too big for me. I was going to cannibalise it for parts but I think I'll just sell it for whatever I can get and put the money towards parts I still need for the Carrera. The tyres probably need replacing but I pumped them up six weeks ago and they are still fine, so the tubes are ok. Its a 23" frame.

View attachment 444441 View attachment 444442

View attachment 444440

Sadly, I think you'll struggle to get more than beer money for the quite tidy looking Townsend as they are often dismissed as BSO's by cycling snobs. I regard them as better than a BSO, just low budget, and IIRC, they were made at the Falcon factory up in Brigg. It's just my size and (unlike most these days it seems) I prefer the choice of using suicide levers from the bar tops - but I've got too many already!
Older non-exotic steel seems to really struggle to sell ATM. I wonder if modern riders are frightened of the downtube shifters? Or has carbon/alu made them ultra weight-obsessed? My late 80's 531 Dawes was a bargain and the bloke I got it from said no-one else but me had shown any interest! Same thing; old school, rim brakes, friction shifters, yet sub-24lb is pretty light for a steel bike.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Sadly, I think you'll struggle to get more than beer money for the quite tidy looking Townsend as they are often dismissed as BSO's by cycling snobs. I regard them as better than a BSO, just low budget, and IIRC, they were made at the Falcon factory up in Brigg. It's just my size and (unlike most these days it seems) I prefer the choice of using suicide levers from the bar tops - but I've got too many already!
Older non-exotic steel seems to really struggle to sell ATM. I wonder if modern riders are frightened of the downtube shifters? Or has carbon/alu made them ultra weight-obsessed? My late 80's 531 Dawes was a bargain and the bloke I got it from said no-one else but me had shown any interest! Same thing; old school, rim brakes, friction shifters, yet sub-24lb is pretty light for a steel bike.
Oh yes, I wasn't expecting to get much at all for the Townsend, I know they aren't exactly sought after, but I got it for nothing so its more a case of making space. Maybe I'll just pull it apart after all and use the bits on something else. That might be easier than trying to sell it. It just seems a shame to dismantle a perfectly useable bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
just seems a shame to dismantle a perfectly useable bike.

I agree, it could be a useful runabout for someone, even if only to go down the pub or shops on where you daren't leave a valuable one. Maybe someone on here will take a fancy to it. If I had a smaller fleet than I already have, it would be right up my street, especially to ride at this time of year on shitty roads with rock salt on them.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I agree, it could be a useful runabout for someone, even if only to go down the pub or shops on where you daren't leave a valuable one. Maybe someone on here will take a fancy to it. If I had a smaller fleet than I already have, it would be right up my street, especially to ride at this time of year on shitty roads with rock salt on them.
Yeah, it would make a great pub bike - the sort that, even if you fell off on the way home, you wouldn't worry about getting it scratched!

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I'm thinking of using the Townsend bottom bracket, together with the chainset and shifters on the Carrera frame. The only problem I can see with that is I would have to remove the cassette from the Townsend back wheel because the Carrera takes 700c wheels (which I haven't got yet). I had bought a new pair of 27 1/4" wheels but they won't be of any use - I'll maybe make use of them later if I build another bike, or keep them as spares for my Dawes.

D

Deleted member 1258

The Townsend would make tidy fixed without too much work, it looks like its got forward facing dropouts, but its too big for me.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new bottom bracket for your other bike and just swap the cranks and other components over and hang the frame from the wall in your garage? That way you could have a frame you could put back into use in case of an emergency.
I haven't got a garage, I'm afraid. Otherwise that might have been an option. I might leave the Townsend and just source new/used parts for the Carrera. If it had been a better frame I might have put my new wheels on it and sold it but I don't think it would be worth doing that now. Maybe one of my neighbours could do with a really cheap bike - I need the space!

If I bought a new Shimano UN55 bottom bracket, what chainset would I need to get? It was so much simpler in the old days when everything seemed to fit!

Top Bottom