Carrera Parva Headset - Press fit??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

Hello

There's a lot of play on my son's front fork, it's a Carrera Parva, I think 2018 as I bought it in October 2018. I've greased and tightened it but it's still there so suspect the bearings.

Here's pictures, one top one bottom. The bearings seem to be cartridge style but I can't get them out - assume they're press fit but I always thought this applied to high spec bikes not the cheaper end of the market. I can "wiggle" them with my fingers so suspect they're gone. Or am I missing something - there was a post on Cyclechat a few years back talking about semi-integrated headset with a replaceable bearing "ring" with bearings in cages, but these definitely look like cartridges - can't get the top off to get at any bearing cage.

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Many thanks,
Paul

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I thought most 'headsets' were press fit, they've gotta be pretty tight in the headtube or they'd wiggle about

OP
OP
P

pfm401

I thought most 'headsets' were press fit, they've gotta be pretty tight in the headtube or they'd wiggle about
Thanks, I mean is the bearing press fit? It looks like a sealed unit but, unlike my road bike where the cartridge bearing just lifts out, it seems wedged in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's most likely corroded in place. You just need to drift it out if replacing it - be careful if re-using. They aren't usually tight, they just sit against the surface of the head tube 'race'. Mine just sit there held in place with grease so they don't fall out when I remove the fork.

Drago

Legendary Member
It shpuld come out with a moderately firm tap from behind, but may be corroded a bit. Juice it up with penetrant, leave it a bit, and knock it out from behind. The new one will be a press fit, but shouldn't take masses of pressure and with care and be bodged in with a large G clamp...with care!

While they are generally inexpensive bikes, they do tend to have decent wuality frames and semi integrated headsets, so the porcess is much like it would be on most Giants, Spesh's, etc.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thanks, I mean is the bearing press fit? It looks like a sealed unit but, unlike my road bike where the cartridge bearing just lifts out, it seems wedged in.
Those may be the ones held in place by a recessed circlip. If bearings are bad it isn't worth bothering just fit a whole new one - not expensive

Top Bottom