Carrera Subway 1 - A good commuters bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
Hey everyone, I'm eyeing up this bike which on the face of things seems a good deal for the price.

I live in Bristol which is far from a flat city so one of my main concerns is weight. This sounds to be around 14kg, do you think that will be ok for tackling up-hill commutes?

My other question is, I'm more used to a roadbike setup and would love to go back to having drop handles. How much do you think it would cost to swap this out with drop handles and have dual break / gear control.

Thanks for your help.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Subway is generally considered a good bike at the price point. Mrs ND has one and loves it.

However it's not a road bike. You could make those changes, but I'd imagine it would cost more to do that than buying a bike with drop bars?

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
The Subway is generally considered a good bike at the price point. Mrs ND has one and loves it.

However it's not a road bike. You could make those changes, but I'd imagine it would cost more to do that than buying a bike with drop bars?
Do you have any recommendations for sub £250 bikes for commuting?

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
You'd probably be looking for a decent s/h bike for £250. Push it to ~£350 and you have the triban 500 and some carreras
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359113-road-bikes
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs...rrera?cm_re=Brand+Pages-_-Carrera-_-offerBox3
They do look good, but I'm also quite keen on having disk brakes. I've had an incident before that wouldn't have happened if I'd had disks and so quite keen for them on the new bike. I can probably stretch to £350 though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Drago

Legendary Member
Slap some skinny Schwalbe rubber onto a Subway and they make superb tarmac terrorists for the daily assault on the commute. They punch above their weight.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
Slap some skinny Schwalbe rubber onto a Subway and they make superb tarmac terrorists for the daily assault on the commute. They punch above their weight.
One issue I have just seen on the Subway is that the smallest size Halfords seem to do is 18". I'm 5ft8/5ft9 so I guess their smallest model is too big for me?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I quite fancy one of those myself as a winter commuter, guy at my new club has done club runs on it so its up to the task of putting the miles in .
If you dont like dropbars and still fancy the subway you could put slick tyres on it and it will certainly tazz along at a decent pace , obviously aerodynamics make you a bit slower as your more upright.

Top Bottom