Carrera Subway 1 - A good commuters bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I loved my Subway when I had one, Great solid, well built, tough as nails bikes.

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
assuming its got a triple like mine i dont see why not , plenty of low gears , i go up this on mine with panniers etc ...
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?p...72098471191137!3f180!4f0!5f0.7820865974627469" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Well I'm also eyeing up the difference between the subway 1 and the subway 2. The 2 has hydraulics which is a plus, and looks like it may come up with slightly better tyres for road cycling but not really sure.
Basically, I'm coming from a road bike and after something with good brakes which is good for cycling commutes on hilly tarmac

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Either would do you as long as it fits.
Depends on what you prefer regarding bars etc. If you want to do some long miles at the weekend as well, I'd go for the drop bar.
Both are good bikes
Or like me do a combination of the two :smile:
drop bar mtb.jpg

Andrew1971

Veteran
@cyberknight why have you got bar end levers on your subway.
Subway one has 24 gears. Subway 2 has 27 gears. Vanquish 16 gears.
Which one would you pick for doing hills.
If i was looking i would be tempted with the subway 2.
I have a subway one it got mudguards,rack and kojak slicks on i left flat bars on for me more comfort.
The biggest ride i have done on mine was tan hill pub 82miles round trip.
Andrew

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@cyberknight why have you got bar end levers on your subway.
Subway one has 24 gears. Subway 2 has 27 gears. Vanquish 16 gears.
Which one would you pick for doing hills.
If i was looking i would be tempted with the subway 2.
I have a subway one it got mudguards,rack and kojak slicks on i left flat bars on for me more comfort.
The biggest ride i have done on mine was tan hill pub 82miles round trip.
Andrew
subway has mtb disc brakes and converting to road stis would mean i would have to change them and the front mech to road cable pull so i did the cheap potion of linear pull brake levers and bar end shifters and kept the original brakes + front mech

Top Bottom