Carrera TDF Ltd Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Cano

• Exact Frame Size: 54cm
  • Forks: FULL HI-TEN STEEL
  • Frame Material: Alloy
  • Front Brake: Tektro R312 Dual pivot
  • Number of Gears: 14
  • Rear Brake: Tektro R312 Dual pivot
  • Wheel Size: 700c
  • Chainset: PROWHEEL, AE-221C, STEEL 50/34T - 170mm
  • Front Mech: Shimano Tourney
  • Pedals: VP-399T Road Type
  • Rear Mech: Shimano Tourney
  • Rims: DOUBLE WALL ALLOY BLACK
  • Suspension: Rigid
  • Type: Road Bikes
  • Tyres: Vee Rubber
Well I just bought one from Halfords for £199. Going from reviews this is a good entry level bike and as I want to get back into road biking thought I'd go with it.

Matt-g

This strikes me as a huge bargain. My TDF was around the £350 mark last sept...although I think that the drivetrain spec may have possibly been downgraded a bit to get it at that pricepoint(happy to,be corrected though). I've been really pleased with mine. I fitted a new set of tyres recently and it's improved the ride quality infinitely!

AndyRM

XOXO
This strikes me as a huge bargain. My TDF was around the £350 mark last sept...although I think that the drivetrain spec may have possibly been downgraded a bit to get it at that pricepoint(happy to,be corrected though). I've been really pleased with mine. I fitted a new set of tyres recently and it's improved the ride quality infinitely!

I don't think anyone I know has paid the same thing for a TdF, Halford's play fast and loose with their pricing and I'm not entirely sure how they get away with it.

Good bike in any case @Tony Cano, there's a lot of nice cycling around Ayrshire to enjoy!

paul04

Über Member
I paid £300 2 year ago, very good bike, still going strong, done about 4000 miles on it without any problems
All I have done is change the tyres (continental ultra sport) and pedals to spd sl.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
wow nice bargain, i got mine for 246 this sunday :/ but i got discount on everything i bought with it (paid nothing for accessories) so it can be around 190 too :smile:

edit dunno if it's only my carrera but i found out that sometimes it's pretty hard to shift down from outer to inner gear, in normal speeds its good but if you go slow it can be pretty challenging to shift down i think it requires rotation to shift properly, dunno if i should see it as a badly fixed gears or just get used to it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

wow nice bargain, i got mine for 246 this sunday :/ but i got discount on everything i bought with it (paid nothing for accessories) so it can be around 190 too :smile:

edit dunno if it's only my carrera but i found out that sometimes it's pretty hard to shift down from outer to inner gear, in normal speeds its good but if you go slow it can be pretty challenging to shift down i think it requires rotation to shift properly, dunno if i should see it as a badly fixed gears or just get used to it?
Need to look out for that. Unfortunately I've not had a chance to get out on it yet as I was hit with slight food poisoning, so don't quite have the energy yet :sad: at present, whenever I move I get dizzy and feel sick hopefully by the end of week I'll be up for it.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have had mine just over a year, and have upgraded to carbon.
But the point is, it's a great bike and you won't be dissapointed. I got mine for £269 btw.
As others have said it's still going strong and hasn't given me a problem.
I upgraded a few bits on it, but it's still a TDF. Happy riding!

OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

Just tinkering with the bike today (changing the pedals and luging up), and I'm glad I did! Just confirms what everyone says. Halfords so called bike mechanics are useless. Handle bars out of line and quite slack, gears not engaging correctly and brakes rubbing. Also and not sure if I'm going back with it, the front chain set has a slight buckle. Not a big buckle but enough to slightly rub on the mech! But to be honest the chain set looks very cheap anyway so not surprising!
Now this brings me to the next question.
Is it worth replacing? And If I were to replace it, what would you replace it with?

AndyRM

XOXO
When you say 'buckle' do you mean it's not spinning straight or that it's got a ding in it?

Depending on the competency of the mechanics at Halfords (not all are clueless) and your own abilities a caveat with a purchase from there is you may need to chuck a few quid to your LBS to get the bike correctly set up.

OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

When you say 'buckle' do you mean it's not spinning straight or that it's got a ding in it?

Depending on the competency of the mechanics at Halfords (not all are clueless) and your own abilities a caveat with a purchase from there is you may need to chuck a few quid to your LBS to get the bike correctly set up.

It's not spinning straight but only noticed when I had on the bike stand and spinning the peddle slowly while lubing the chain.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sounds like the bottom bracket isn't installed correctly, or possibly the ring. Back to Halfords for a mechanic with a clue, or your LBS for better advice.

Top Bottom