Carrera TDF Ltd Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Tony Cano I have a prowheel on my Viking thats done over 10,000 miles so its not likely to be the quality of the chainset, though they are pretty low end.

jayfud

I picked mine up on Monday, had a little test ride yesterday with my nine year old who has taken up road biking. I needed to keep up with her.
She has a Dawes Giro 300 with a 48cm frame.
The Carrera seems really good as all I have ridden is mountain bikes.

OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

Well took the TDF to LBS who took a look and told me it was the outer ring on the chain set. I was advised to take it back to Halfords to get it replaced. After a fair bit of messing me around, they finally replace the chainset with an upgraded one. I'll now take the bike into my LBS from now on.
Been out on my first ride on it (50miles) and although completely different to my mountain bike, I enjoyed every mile :smile:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I bought a TDF as a winter trainer for £269 last October.
Rode it through last years wet winter without any problems and would add that it's the most comfortable of all the bikes I ride. Due, in no small measure, to that steel fork.

tudor_77

Über Member
I bought a TDF as a winter trainer for £269 last October.
Rode it through last years wet winter without any problems and would add that it's the most comfortable of all the bikes I ride. Due, in no small measure, to that steel fork.

I'm thinking of getting the TDF as a winter training bike to save wear and tear on my Giant Defy Comp, I have always secretly coveted that sexy yellow and black frame and everyone who has one says it is petty much bomb proof. Good to hear you had a positive experience with yours:cheers:

tudor_77

Über Member
I would never use turbo trainers personally, a winter trainer is for use outdoors and generally has a lower end groupset that can be easily and cheaply replaced. Riding in winter is much harsher on your groupset than summer.

Plus its a good excuse for an N+1!!

tudor_77

Über Member
Just looked on Halfords and the classic yellow/black TDF is no longer there:angry: Only the new 2015 range and the 2014 Virtuoso. New range looks decent enough though.

@tudor_77 105 RD £27 Sora RD £17 not much in the FD either, ok Cassettes are about half the price, but even I can afford two 105 Cassettes a year, (7000+ miles) and to replace the RD once a year, the shifters well my orginal soras (7sp which are still working, unlike the stuff off ebay) did about 8,000 miles, shifters Sora £100, 105 £130 (ish) where is the compromise, at £130 ish I can afford a pair of those every few years.
I have had chains/cassettes last up to 8,000 miles, mind you I clean the chain every ride when its been wet, and if really bad degrease with diesel white spirit, and re lube, but a 10sp chain can be had for less than £20, so just run one of those over the winter.
I only have one bike and it gets ridden in all weathers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think anyone I know has paid the same thing for a TdF, Halford's play fast and loose with their pricing and I'm not entirely sure how they get away with it.
They only have to display the higher price in one of their shops for 28 days prior to reducing it I think. All the Supermarkets do this so I guess we should all be used to it by now.

AndyRM

XOXO
They only have to display the higher price in one of their shops for 28 days prior to reducing it I think. All the Supermarkets do this so I guess we should all be used to it by now.

That doesn't seem to happen at Halford's though. Going off the one I see regularly, I've seen the TdF at £270, then £199, then back up to £250 in the space of about 6 weeks. I could understand the price being reduced, but does it not have to stay there?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They don't have to keep the lower price, only to have the higher price for 28 days minimum, and needs to happen in only one branch. By having the higher price for the required term allows them to constantly show a discount. Highlights the need to be a savvy shopper!

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
They don't have to keep the lower price, only to have the higher price for 28 days minimum, and has to happen in only one branch. By having the higher price for the required term allows them to constantly show a discount. Highlights the need to be a savvy shopper!

That explains it - thank you!

Matt-g

I've seen the Tdf price move from between £369 to £199 since last January.....,my TDF isnt the limited edition version. Its rock solid dependable and I never have had a single ssue with it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom