Carrera TDF or Viking Roma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sert0

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy my first road and need some advice on which might be a better purchase. I've been looking at the Carrera TDF from Halfords vs a Viking Roma online. I know these bikes are entry level and I'm under no illusion that they're amazing bikes but I just need something cheap, that I can commute to work on everyday (18miles) and train and take part in triathlons with (just a fun hobby not a proper competitor).
Any advice/reviews on these two models would much appreciated.

Edwards80

Über Member
As will be predicted by many . . .

Have you had a look at the B'Twin Triban 3 at Decathlon? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

I bought mine for the same reason as you, a cheap 20 mile a day commuter. 3500 miles later and I'm commuting/doing club runs/100+mile rides and tonight potentially my first time trial.

Rather pleased with it, nothing special but excellent value for money.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
As will be predicted by many . . .

Have you had a look at the B'Twin Triban 3 at Decathlon? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

I bought mine for the same reason as you, a cheap 20 mile a day commuter. 3500 miles later and I'm commuting/doing club runs/100+mile rides and tonight potentially my first time trial.

Rather pleased with it, nothing special but excellent value for money.

Another +1 for the Triban 3 - got a great review in this month's cycling active.

OP
OP
S

sert0

Excellent thanks a lot for the advice, i'll check it out. Just out of curiosity, what makes the Triban the better bike?

Robeh

+1 for the carrrea TDF had mine for 12 months,excellent bike for the money...done1500 trouble free miles....

Im now selling it to make way for another road bike...

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Excellent thanks a lot for the advice, i'll check it out. Just out of curiosity, what makes the Triban the better bike?

front carbon forks and iirc its slightly lighter as well. Decathlon are a french company and love cycling so it will be put together better as well (depending on competency of the halfords staff)

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I'm pretty sure Decathlon's UK stores are not staffed with French migrant workers..?? It usually takes more than 'being French' to make someone a good bike mechanic.. ;)

lol i meant the companys standards towards bikes and cycling in general.

however wander in with a croissant and a nice pinot and im sure youll be welcomed!

I own a Viking SS, its a great bike (a cheap but reliable bike to keep me fit & train) but my emphasis would be on the Carrera, I think its lighter and better specced and whilst it may be put together by muppets you at least have something physical to deal with. However given what I've read about the Triban, I'd definitely check them out too.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Bought a TDF as a winter bike 3 years ago for £250 at the time. It has had several mods, but was cracking value. Full mudguards were a must.
The nice bikes stay indoors during winter and I can still train.

OP
OP
S

sert0

So I bought the Triban on Tuesday and must say it's a cracker. Thanks everyone! Incidentally the two staff members I spoke to in Decathlon were in fact french and extremely helpful!

Top Bottom