Carrera zelos tourney...is it good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Hi friends planning to buy this one and change the handle bars to straight handle bars. Any one already uses this bike? Will appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 5ECAA038-0BEC-44BD-BE23-626A8AA1551E.png
    5ECAA038-0BEC-44BD-BE23-626A8AA1551E.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 27

vickster

Legendary Member
Be very careful with frame sizing and geometry when converting drops to flats.
I’d just buy a flat bar roadbike in the first place (like a BTWIN or a used Specialized Vita), likely won’t cost any more in the long run

The Carrera has a very basic spec

This would be a very sensible alternative and a much better spec, Sora, carbon fork
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/womens-intermediate-flat-bar-road-bike-sora-id_8487137.html

Last edited:
Is there no equivalent with straight bars?
It's unfortunately not as simple as just swapping the bars, the brake levers/shifters will likely need changing too. It's certainly doable, but will add cost, and make make the bike not fit you properly. Better, if possible, to get flat bars from the start.
Edit; as @vickster said!

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I’d just buy a flat bar roadbike in the first place (like a BTWIN or a used Specialized Vita), likely won’t cost any more in the long run

This would be a very sensible alternative and a much better spec, Sora, carbon fork
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/womens-intermediate-flat-bar-road-bike-sora-id_8487137.html
I did see the triban once ...you are right ... changing the bars will add another 100 quid. So the price will be same.
Thats a good idea ... will check that once more. They do come in small and extra small too

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Is there no equivalent with straight bars?
It's unfortunately not as simple as just swapping the bars, the brake levers/shifters will likely need changing too. It's certainly doable, but will add cost, and make make the bike not fit you properly. Better, if possible, to get flat bars from the start.
Edit; as @vickster said!
Yes that is what i wanted ... will check the triban as suggested. I had forgotten abt that option

vickster

Legendary Member
I did see the triban once ...you are right ... changing the bars will add another 100 quid. So the price will be same.
Thats a good idea ... will check that once more. They do come in small and extra small too
At least £100 once you’ve got bars, decent grips, brake levers, shifters, cables, new stem...plus labour or time if doing yourself...and then based on my own experience, the sizing will be all wrong so you’ll sell to another smaller friend at a sizeable loss :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

At least £100 once you’ve got bars, decent grips, brake levers, shifters, cables, new stem...plus labour or time if doing yourself...and then based on my own experience, the sizing will be all wrong so you’ll sell to another smaller friend at a sizeable loss :rolleyes:
Yes thanks for the flag. I was thinking i have to find a solution for a more road type bike. Am actually regretting signing up for L2P !! . Hadnt thought about all this.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes thanks for the flag. I was thinking i have to find a solution for a more road type bike. Am actually regretting signing up for L2P !! . Hadnt thought about all this.

Look for a used Specialized Vita as above

E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speciali...439053?hash=item261db947cd:g:-gAAAOSwh~5c6sxO

Bargain at £150 (might get a little off with an offer too)
Quite accessible from SE London and the right size for you
https://static.evanscycles.com/production/pdf-media/sizing-table/specialized-vita-sizing-chart.pdf

Perfect commuter/training/event bike
Complete with rack and proper mudguards

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran

A fiend of mine has just bought the male version of this bike for commuting and leisure riding and speaks very highly of it.

By the time you've paid money and and spent time swapping the bars out on the Carrera you're going to end up with a bike that's got a lower spec to the Decathlon, although at a small saving, so what's the point?

vickster

Legendary Member
A fiend of mine has just bought the male version of this bike for commuting and leisure riding and speaks very highly of it.

By the time you've paid money and and spent time swapping the bars out on the Carrera you're going to end up with a bike that's got a lower spec to the Decathlon, although at a small saving, so what's the point?
I actually don't think you'd save anything much at all (I'm not sure the OP will do the conversion herself so would have to pay £100 min for conversion in London) and you end up with a lower spec, ill fitting bike

Top Bottom