carrying a D lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
hope this is the right section to post in?

having just bought a road bike i also feel it is time to invest in some better security, a D lock seems the obvious to me being so much more secure than a cable
but how do i carry a D lock on a road bike without a rucksack? or even a cable considering any saddle bag i want will be only just big enough for a spare tube or two and a pair of levers, maybe a multi tool
Cheers Ed

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Did the D lock come with a clamp so you can attach to the frame?

ScotiaLass

Guru
My D lock came with a mount for the frame...unfortunately my bike frame won't take it but it would probably fit okay on a road bike (if you have the room).
If I need to take mine I carry it in my rucksack although it is a heavy beast!

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Did the D lock come with a clamp so you can attach to the frame?
not got one yet but my brothers did and he carries his in his main frame triangle bit but i feel this doesn't look too good and and i never see any real roadies with any visible locks
Cheers Ed

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Most roadies carry a small cafe lock. Small enough to carry in your back pocket and enough to deter an opportunist thief grabbing your bike from outside a cafe/shop. I use one of these when I'm lycra'd up.
When I'm on my around town/work/jump on in jeans bike I have a d lock clamped to the frame

ScotiaLass

Guru
Most roadies carry a small cafe lock. Small enough to carry in your back pocket and enough to deter an opportunist thief grabbing your bike from outside a cafe/shop. I use one of these when I'm lycra'd up.
When I'm on my around town/work/jump on in jeans bike I have a d lock clamped to the frame
I rarely use my D lock.
I usually don't stop anywhere on a ride that I'd leave my bike but I carry a pretty sturdy cable lock, just incase I need to pop for a pee coffee :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want proper security for a roadbike, you'll have to get over what it looks like...or carry it in a backpack, in a pannier, bugeed to a rack, get a carradice or bar bag. My little Kryptonite D fits in my Bell (Walmart i.e. Asda) bar bag.

I have these, the cable might fit in the bag too and the tools

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-7-Lock-With-4-Foot-Kryptoflex-Cable_53382.htm
http://direct.asda.com/Road-Stash-B...8-05eff6da2486&istItemId=xmmlaqtr&istBid=tztx

byegad

Legendary Member
If you are commuting to work, a D lock can be left on a stand so long as it is not in to bad an area. I used to leave one at work in the car patrolled car park. You need to carry a light lock incase the D is sabotaged but it never did for my commuting of 8 years.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
okay, maybe a D lock isn't the way to go and instead a decent cable lock and a big saddle bag as the bike won't be let out of sight and i'm not commuting on it but when i get a road bike for commuting somewhere over a distant rainbow that will have to have the ugly D lock in frame :sad:
PS where are the pictures of the bike :thumbsup:
in south wales! :sad: i have heard one of us on here is packing bike right now :hyper:
pics to come soon :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
PS where are the pictures of the bike :thumbsup:

Check out Banjo's Scott in the For Sale section.
no need, i'm so kind i will even let you have a peek at (soon to be) my pride and joy!:hyper:
001_zps75871856.jpg

Cheers Ed

Top Bottom