Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What are people's views on blade metal? I prefer carbon steel as they can be kept much sharper, but most blades seem to be stainless steel nowadays, which I accept is probably better for a penknife.

I've noticed this too, but if you learn to sharpen the blade on a stone/leather combination it's fairly quick and easy to maintain the blade.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've noticed this too, but if you learn to sharpen the blade on a stone/leather combination it's fairly quick and easy to maintain the blade.

Absolutely. I probably "sharpen" my knives on leather almost daily.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What are people's views on blade metal? I prefer carbon steel as they can be kept much sharper, but most blades seem to be stainless steel nowadays, which I accept is probably better for a penknife.

I used to very much prefer carbon steel to stainless for kitchen knives, because I seemed to get a much better edge on them, but having in more recent years got a Wustof stainless knife which takes an edge like a razor and isn't too hard to sharpen either. One of my carbon steel Sabatiers I find hard to sharpen that well too, though my older different brand carbon Sabatier is awesome. I find sharpening victorinox swiss army blades a bit tricky too.

So my unscientific experience suggests some high quality stainless blades can be excellent but maybe not quite as good as the ve try best non stainless. I'd only want stainless for a penknife I think

Punkawallah

Über Member
Went on my first cruise about 10 years ago, bags were X-rayed on boarding, my very old Swiss Army knife showed up. Lots of chin stroking and discussion amongst the crew. I eventually persuaded them to allow me on with it. Walked into the dining room that night to find 4,000 steak knives on the tables.

You aren’t allowed to carry plastic cutlery on board an aircraft, but when they serve a meal you are supplied a set?

Baldy

Über Member
I have two made of carbon steel, a Mora it just says carbon steel on the blade. The other a TBS says K - 720. Also another TBS knife make of stainless steel says N695. The stainless blade holds it's edge much better than the other two.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Isn't all steel "carbon steel"?

I mean, that's the definition of steel isn't it? Iron and carbon. Seasoned with some other elements to taste. A soupcon of nickel, a pinch of chromium, a dash of manganese...

Alex321

Veteran
Isn't all steel "carbon steel"?

I mean, that's the definition of steel isn't it? Iron and carbon. Seasoned with some other elements to taste. A soupcon of nickel, a pinch of chromium, a dash of manganese...

"Carbon" in this case should be "high carbon", as opposed to "mild steel" which is low carbon.

Typically mild steel has 0.05% to 0.25% carbon, while Carbon Steel will have up to 2.1% carbon.

Sometimes the term "carbon steel" is just used to differentiate from "stainless steel" (which has added chroimum).

potsy

Rambler
Currently got one of these in my pocket, it's about all I can be trusted with!
Y2340801-01.jpeg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"Carbon" in this case should be "high carbon", as opposed to "mild steel" which is low carbon.

Typically mild steel has 0.05% to 0.25% carbon, while Carbon Steel will have up to 2.1% carbon.

Sometimes the term "carbon steel" is just used to differentiate from "stainless steel" (which has added chroimum).

Yes I know, but it's still an oxymoron.

Me, I prefer blades made with iron steel.

Top Bottom