Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Always have a couple of knives in the work truck, in a toolbox. They're for work.

At home there are loads of knives: a few Moras in that drawer for making feather sticks for lighting the stove; loads of spooncarving knives in the workshop; all manner of Japanese steel knives in the kitchen for various food jobs; hunting and bushcraft knives under the stairs; a big old knife in the porch for splitting kindling; for sentimental reasons, my old dad's throwing knifes in a bedside cabinet, from his time with Billy Smart's circus as Deadeye Dick Smith.

(In the interest of security, not all these knife locations are factual).

Would be very reluctant to carry even the smallest folder about my person day-to-day.

Plod met me off a Sheffield bus many moons back - I was working for a tree surgeon at the time and going to the station, with my chainsaw, ropes and tools in a backpack - "why was I carrying an offensive weapon?" Covered in sawdust, wearing chainsaw trousers and a big, orange hardhat under one arm....

Have also been pulled more than once in my car for having chainsaws in the boot. Maybe I looked like a wrong 'un?

Almost nostalgic to have been stopped by the constabulary...those were the days...

The serious concern isn't some middle aged white bloke going about his little life though. Were I fourteen, from a deprived neighbourhood and living in a large city, I would be pretty conflicted / confused about what "safe" was.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The below is a SWK cycling tool, complete with chain tool. I wonder what the court’s opinion on that would be?

View attachment 719340
Zero issue as the blade's presumably less than 3" and it doesn't lock... plus the additional functionality and bright colouring make it look even more legit and innocuous; should that be necessary.

Perspective might shift somewhat however if it's found hanging out the side of a previously-aggressive motorist..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Zero issue as the blade's presumably less than 3" and it doesn't lock... plus the additional functionality and bright colouring make it look even more legit and innocuous; should that be necessary.

Perspective might shift somewhat however if it's found hanging out the side of a previously-aggressive motorist..

Don’t put ideas in my head.

Exlaser2

Veteran
It funny , if you asked do I carry I knife ? I would say no.

But then I think about it .
1) I aways has a Leatherman in the car .

Plus I am a dinghy sailor so,

2) I have always have a tool box in the car with has a Stanley knife in it .
3) I always slip a Swiss Army knife in my pocket when I go to the sailing club.
4) For safety reasons when I am sailing , in case of entanglement, carry the knife below .

So I really do carry a knife quite a lot. 😂😀

449DDCF1-D627-43F0-893A-F2853B07A9B1.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
It funny , if you asked do I carry I knife ? I would say no.

But then I think about it .
1) I aways has a Leatherman in the car .

Plus I am a dinghy sailor so,

2) I have always have a tool box in the car with has a Stanley knife in it .
3) I always slip a Swiss Army knife in my pocket when I go to the sailing club.
4) For safety reasons when I am sailing , in case of entanglement, carry the knife below .

So I really do carry a knife quite a lot. 😂😀

View attachment 719374

What dinghy's?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My dad was farming his whole life and always carries a knife, even now he's 74 and gave up farming 15 years ago. I've never carried one. I had a mate in Uni who had one of those tiny ones that you'd get in Christmas crackers, and was refused entry to pubs and nightclubs that searched him. So I don't think the law matters on size when everyone is so rightly paranoid about any sort of blade now

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My dad was farming his whole life and always carries a knife, even now he's 74 and gave up farming 15 years ago. I've never carried one. I had a mate in Uni who had one of those tiny ones that you'd get in Christmas crackers, and was refused entry to pubs and nightclubs that searched him. So I don't think the law matters on size when everyone is so rightly paranoid about any sort of blade now

While I can see the argument for zero-tolerance in certain circumstances / on private property, IMO this is just another facet of the nanny state's dis-empowerment of the individual and should be opposed..

In my 'carry on the bike just in case' container, amongst all the zip ties ,spare link and other stuff, I have a multi-bladed Swiss army knife which has scissors, can opener, tweezers and several other useful blades. This has proved quite helpful in the past.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if I've never used the knife blade on the leather man thingy that I have in my bike toolkit. The pliers I've used often, also screwdriver, but the knife ... rarely, if at all. I can't remember any particular instance.

Last edited:
I've got a wee Leatherman on my key fob that includes a knife and a pair of scissors. Been very handy, just this week I was cutting down the thick plastic debris guards on nail guns with it. Usually remember to leave it in the car when flying after a small SAK was removed from me at Edinburgh airport but I remember forgetting my keys were in my pocket at Bristol Airport and they set off the metal detector. So I stepped back, handed them to the security guy whilst I went through the arch and he gave me them back at the other side - multi tool still attached

ETA pic - it's an awfy wee blade right enough
View attachment 719338

The Skeletool shows " locking blade" feature so is another " good reason" carry, not " just in case"

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't 'carried' a knife since I was about 13, when we used to wear sheath knives on our belts for semi rural pursuits. No animal cruelty involved though. :okay: I haven't carried a knife of any kind on me since those days. I've never had a need to and find the thought of casual knife carrying quite concerning.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Working in secure hospital units we had collapsible pens in case the patients got hold of one and used it for stabbing. Awful things to write with though as you couldn't press on the paper very hard.

Top Bottom