Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I use a simple Swiss army knife as my keyring fob and always have it with me. It comes in useful for all sorts of things.
IMG_20240119_181733.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
When I am away i carry a swiss credit card type small knife but never take it as hand baggage.

Did once take a double headed axe on a plane as hand baggage. We discussed it and decided it was too big to swing in a plane.

Oh how times have changed. :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was before 9/11 that I had a pack of razor blades confiscated from my hand baggage. (Dublin airport, some time in the late 80s). I must have looked like a wrong 'un.

These were cartridge blades, not old fashioned ones, so not much good for anything apart from shaving.

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve always carried a knife, as a shepherd, it’s an essential tool. I would also carry a sheaf knife in the van if I needed to skin a calf. It used to be considered quite normal and then there became a time you could be a criminal.
When I attended the first Pedal on Parliament I thought it would be good idea to use the loo in the Parliament building and see inside. To get in pockets had to be emptied and passed through a scanner. A chap ahead of me put his pocket knife in the tray. I never before witnessed, by uniformed guards, such horror of carrying a knife and it was confiscated from him! I did an about turn and crossed my legs until I found a tree.

Slick

Guru
I’ve always carried a knife, as a shepherd, it’s an essential tool. I would also carry a sheaf knife in the van if I needed to skin a calf. It used to be considered quite normal and then there became a time you could be a criminal.
When I attended the first Pedal on Parliament I thought it would be good idea to use the loo in the Parliament building and see inside. To get in pockets had to be emptied and passed through a scanner. A chap ahead of me put his pocket knife in the tray. I never before witnessed, by uniformed guards, such horror of carrying a knife and it was confiscated from him! I did an about turn and crossed my legs until I found a tree.

That's the city slickers for you. :okay:

Bristolian

Whilst I don't tend to carry a knife when generally walking around, I still have and use the folding pocket knife I was issued with when I joined the Army in 1971. It is very useful and lives in my saddle bag. In my camera bag I have a Leatherman multi-tool, which gets practically no use whatsoever except for cutting up apples when sat in a hide.

I also have a WW1 version of the army folding knife which I keep in my tool box and gets used several times each week.

I keep up with the times and carry a katana😂

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Friend of mine was a Forest Ranger ie he shot lots of deer at that time to reduce the stock and protect young trees. He always had a sheath knife on his belt as needed to gralloch deer carcasses on the hill.
He often forgot about it as it was part of his uniform and was often wearing it in inappropriate places. There was never any problem but in a semi rural area many people understood why he carried it.

On a different tack we had a Customs and Excise officer who was a knife fanatic. He kept a throwing knife and a pistol in his desk drawer as well as a rifle in a cupboard. One wall of his living room was covered in an assortment of knives of all sorts. When he answered a knock on his door he stood to one side and did not stand behind the door and had a kukri in one hand held behind his back.
He did have chequered army career involving terrorists and was a bit paranoid.

Last edited:
I would have assumed that it's a brave man who dares to carry a knife around these days. I used to have penknives when I was a kid, but don't recall having much use for them, other than cutting my thumb (I've still got the scar after 50 years). How times change, when I was in the scouts we all used to walk down the street with sheath knives on our belts.

Yup - done that

I had - and still have - a sheath knife my Dad gave me - it has a deer hoof as a handle

The Scout troop I went to was a School troop (yes - one of those schools - we also had a CCF!) and met after school.
Hence on Mondays we could wear scout uniform instead of school uniform if we wanted
On some occasions we would need a knife for whatever we were doing at Scouts - so I would be walking around at school all day with a sheaf knife on my belt - probably about a 4 inch blade!

Seems weird nowadays - but I always had a penknife around until I was in my 30s - not always "on me" - but it would be in a handy drawer or something and get used quite often

Punkawallah

Über Member
Leatherman on my key ring all the time, including a small knife. Useful for cutting plants, pizza, plastic shrink wrap, wine foil, pastries, fruit, string, paracord to secure a bin wagon light cluster after an ill advised meeting with a tree.
Managed to use every function at some time, including the (optimistic) mm/cm scale.

Top Bottom