Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Things have changed. I’ve carried a penknife, with a blade under 6cm, on flights regularly since 2015. Airport security always measure it and give it back to me.

However, it is worth checking that if you’re returning from somewhere outside the EU, such blades are acceptable to that airport’s security.

I flew BA to Amsterdam, then KLM to Accra a few years ago and nobody was bothered by my penknife. On the return from Accra, a big soldier with a gun said I couldn’t take it, despite the airlines themselves allowing it, so I lost it.

Seriously? Wow!
I've inadvertently flown with one of those Swiss Key thing that @BrumJim mentioned on my house keyring but just because I forgot and it obviously looked like a key on the xray machine but I've seen folks have tiny nail scissors confiscated so seems weird they let you fly with a penknife however small. Every airport I've been there are posters saying you're not allowed any pointy or bladed articles in the cabin. I've just made sure I put them in hold case.

presta

Guru
I would have assumed that it's a brave man who dares to carry a knife around these days. I used to have penknives when I was a kid, but don't recall having much use for them, other than cutting my thumb (I've still got the scar after 50 years). How times change, when I was in the scouts we all used to walk down the street with sheath knives on our belts.

I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 12, having a small swiss army when I was a kid, to carrying various sized folding knifes today. It's part of the stuff I grab each morning to put into my pockets, wallet, phone, keys, knife. I've lost a couple to airport security when I've forgotten to leave it at home, and one time I left a knife with a food truck vendor as the Aquarium in Chicago wouldn't let me carry it in. It gets used almost everyday, opening packages, trimming nails, slicing the odd apple.

I have to catch myself when I travel back home to the UK to see family as I what I can carry around Texas probably exceeds UK law just a little bit.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Every airport I've been there are posters saying you're not allowed any pointy or bladed articles in the cabin. I've just made sure I put them in hold case.

I’m surprised at that as my local airport, Glasgow, has big signs up at the security queue area explaining that certain bladed items are permitted. Plus, occasionally I get a flight with hand luggage only so I can’t put it in the hold.

Here’s the relevant info from the UK Civil Aviation Authority page:

IMG_0418.jpeg

Alex321

Veteran
Seriously? Wow!
I've inadvertently flown with one of those Swiss Key thing that @BrumJim mentioned on my house keyring but just because I forgot and it obviously looked like a key on the xray machine but I've seen folks have tiny nail scissors confiscated so seems weird they let you fly with a penknife however small. Every airport I've been there are posters saying you're not allowed any pointy or bladed articles in the cabin. I've just made sure I put them in hold case.

And yet you can take knittng needles in hand luggage
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items

I remember once at Bristol airport, a good few years ago, my wife asking at check in if she could take her knitting needles in her hand luggage. They weren't sure, so phoned through to security, who said yes. But then when we reached security, they were going to say no until we said check-in had phoned to ask, and when one of them confirmed that call, they let us through.

They may not have a very sharp point, but it is enough you could theoretically stab somebody with one.

From website small knife is 58mm so blade conforms with the airport rules. Medium and large are a lot bigger than 6cm so not allowed due to blade length plus if there's a lot of other things on it then the rules below blade length rules it out surely?

The carrying a knife for those "just in case" reasons seems to be an older generational thing. I personally like knives and own many, but I only ever carry them with a use in mind. If my knife is needed I carry it.

So at my old job I used a folding stanley knife about 40 times a day on a typical day. It gets pocket room but only at work. If I'm wildcamping in the hills or cycle touring with tent then I use a knife for food prep and potentially other uses. Again it gets carried among my kit.

I carry my cyber tool SAK in my bike kit for fixing bike issues. That's a just in case kit but the consequences of being stuck miles from somewhere makes the risks of not carrying tool kit enough to keep it all there. However, more recently I have a unique situation where I have to leave my SAK cyber tool at home. My new job has a very security obsessed culture. They have really heavy duty security at two levels. Any one of them has the contractual / legal right to search anyone on site whether employee or contractor or visitor. Knives of any kind except ones supplied by the company are banned. Getting caught with one is a disciplinary offence. So quite rightly I leave it at home.

So I can justify the carrying of a knife when I actually do it based on an actual planned or expected use. I personally think that's the right way round with knives. Carrying without a need or just in case I think is not a great idea but everyone has their own views on it. I just think that just because legally you can do something doesn't automatically mean it is right to do it.

Slick

Guru
Like many, I've carried a knife most of my life. We were brought up back in the day when you could hunt with dogs, polecats and nets. At that time my prized possession was a sheath knife with a tartan handle, seems naff now but cool as back in the day. My poor old father in law was a commercial fisherman all his days, and he laughed when he found out I no longer carried a knife and his favourite retort was always, "no, but you will have a comb", and he wasn't wrong. :laugh:

He bought me a lovely wee wooden handled pen knife that I used every day until he passed away and I fell heir to his which was well worn and the blade almost sharpened away. Mine sits in a drawer in the house but I still carry his around with me, despite the fact I really only ever need a knife now when I'm out cycling.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I’m surprised at that as my local airport, Glasgow, has big signs up at the security queue area explaining that certain bladed items are permitted. Plus, occasionally I get a flight with hand luggage only so I can’t put it in the hold.

Here’s the relevant info from the UK Civil Aviation Authority page:

View attachment 719250

Looks like even if the blade is smaller than 6 cm I'm doomed anyway. Pretty much all my multi bladed Swiss Army knives over the years have had a corkscrew, usually so I can carry a tiny flat bladed screwdriver in it. Very useful for glasses wearers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks like even if the blade is smaller than 6 cm I'm doomed anyway. Pretty much all my multi bladed Swiss Army knives over the years have had a corkscrew, usually so I can carry a tiny flat bladed screwdriver in it. Very useful for glasses wearers.

I normally have a couple of jeweller's screwdrivers with me when I travel, for that very reason. I've often found them useful as have those who have borrowed them. But I don't take them on to aircraft. I'm happy to run the risk of my specs disintegrating in flight.

Ripple

Veteran
Yup. Swiss army knife is always in the pocket of my work fleece. The most unusual use of it was when someone was stuck in the bathroom (door lock jammed) and I had to cut a chunk of the doors with the part of that lock (after going through all other options).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
By default the "utility" pocket in my combats carries a small folding knife and small torch. These are unobtrusive enough to go everywhere with me and get used regularly; having got me out of the sh*t many times.

Obviously I struggle to remember all the times the knife's been useful; however the most recent was removing a fat thorn from my tyre, while in the past I've used it to free a trapped sheep (fleece caught in brambles), open up cable ties, slice garlic, open boxes and envelopes, shave callouses...

I keep it on me at all times unless this would obviously be a bad idea - such as going to a club or flying. Absolutely nowt wrong with carrying a few basic tools with you; despite what the brainwashed masses might think.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I grew up on a farm and always carried a pen knife. It was normal and useful for all sorts of things. I still have the knife but don't carry it any more as I don't really need it nowadays as I do an office based job.

I think I might have a Stanley knife in the car along with a few other basic tools I carry in case of problems.

I usually take a small knife with me when cycle touring or on long day rides in case I have need of it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When scuba diving we always had well sharpened knives with blades up to about 8 or 9 inches.
These were strapped in my case to my right leg.
We dived in the open sea and all sorts of hazards abounded like discarded or lost nets and ropes which could entangle you. Monofilament nets which were invisible were stretched out on the sea bed to entangle crayfish and unwary divers.
Eventually plod had a word with us and we were not allowed to wear them until just before entering the water. Apparently even carrying them in our kit bags was technically illegal but a blind eye was turned to that in our case at least as their importance as potential life savers was recognised.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I have a Gerber multi tool which includes a knife in my saddlebag. Its been used to pick thorns and glass out of my tyres.
I've got quite a few folding knives but I keep them in the house and use them for household things and DIY.
I have actually found a use for the hook on a SAK as well. I've used it to help pull a very tight belt onto the roller of a Dyson Vac. I like SAKs with the scissors on, I use mine all the time.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
When scuba diving we always had well sharpened knives with blades up to about 8 or 9 inches.
These were strapped in my case to my right leg.
We dived in the open sea and all sorts of hazards abounded like discarded or lost nets and ropes which could entangle you. Monofilament nets which were invisible were stretched out on the sea bed to entangle crayfish and unwary divers.
Eventually plod had a word with us and we were not allowed to wear them until just before entering the water. Apparently even carrying them in our kit bags was technically illegal but a blind eye was turned to that in our case at least as their importance as potential life savers was recognised.

Its not illegal to carry a large knife if its for a legitimate purpose like what you did or bushcraft or for work etc.

Top Bottom