Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Veteran
it depends upon context ..i have a mounted razor blade in my puncture repair kit which has served me well ..removed a yarn of fishing line from my freewheel and derailleur on the tow path,, but to walk around the city center at 12 o'clock with it in my pocket would be very wrong..tools are good ..offensive weapons are bad ,,any tool can be abused

It was before 9/11 that I had a pack of razor blades confiscated from my hand baggage. (Dublin airport, some time in the late 80s). I must have looked like a wrong 'un.

These were cartridge blades, not old fashioned ones, so not much good for anything apart from shaving.

The security guy just forgot to get razor blades at his last shop so you saved him having to go back.

. Carrying without a need or just in case I think is not a great idea but everyone has their own views on it. I just think that just because legally you can do something doesn't automatically mean it is right to do it.

Legal rights have to be excercised to be meaningful. I carry my just in case Swiss Army knife because it is my lawful right.
I admire people who excercise other legal rights, such as saying unpopular things or dressing in any way they wish

Legal rights have to be excercised to be meaningful. I carry my just in case Swiss Army knife because it is my lawful right.
I admire people who excercise other legal rights, such as saying unpopular things or dressing in any way they wish

Carrying a pocket knife isn't some great protection of rights. It's a tool, nothing more. Just like a screwdriver, axe, bilhook, sickle, rake, lawn aerator. My point about a knife being a tool you carry for a job, no job for it then why carry it? It's not going to lose you rights by not carrying your knife.

BTW in the wrong place and time I believe carrying a screwdriver will get you in trouble.

I think carrying knives to protect your right to carry them is right out of the American NRA's playback with right to carry guns. I think over here we kind of look down on American gun lobby for things like that. Is it really much different to UK and knives? We have a knife problem like they have a gun problem. If we had USA levels of gun control would they be using guns over here instead of knives and then you knife carriers would not have any fear of carrying knives without a use for them? ^_^

Punkawallah

Über Member
Carrying a pocket knife isn't some great protection of rights. It's a tool, nothing more. Just like a screwdriver, axe, bilhook, sickle, rake, lawn aerator. My point about a knife being a tool you carry for a job, no job for it then why carry it? It's not going to lose you rights by not carrying your knife.

BTW in the wrong place and time I believe carrying a screwdriver will get you in trouble.

I think carrying knives to protect your right to carry them is right out of the American NRA's playback with right to carry guns. I think over here we kind of look down on American gun lobby for things like that. Is it really much different to UK and knives? We have a knife problem like they have a gun problem. If we had USA levels of gun control would they be using guns over here instead of knives and then you knife carriers would not have any fear of carrying knives without a use for them? ^_^

And by ‘we’, here, I assume you meant ‘I’. But the whole US Constitution is something for another topic, methinks.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Stanley knife is in the restricted class requiring "good reason", even in your car.
Just In Case is not good reason.

While, curiously, wandering down the street with a zweihander to a renaissance fair would be fine :-) English law is sometimes subtle like that.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I carry a knife like the one Andy in Germany has. I used it all the time.

Mr WD also carries a knife that's about 4 inches long when he is our and about the land. It comes in handy for so many things. We also have a machete that we use as well.

We never take the bigger knives off the property. They are just used for working with.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not going to get involved in discussions about what is a good reason etc.

Suffice to say I'm a retired copper and never carry one in public, except on those rare occasions I have an actual, rather than hypothetical, use for one. Travelling to my daughters gaff to do a spot of DIY may be a typical example.

It's up to a court to decide what your reasonable excuse may be and in my wide experience vague notions of I may need to possibly one day do something with it is unlikely to cut any ice with them.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've got a wee Leatherman on my key fob that includes a knife and a pair of scissors. Been very handy, just this week I was cutting down the thick plastic debris guards on nail guns with it. Usually remember to leave it in the car when flying after a small SAK was removed from me at Edinburgh airport but I remember forgetting my keys were in my pocket at Bristol Airport and they set off the metal detector. So I stepped back, handed them to the security guy whilst I went through the arch and he gave me them back at the other side - multi tool still attached

ETA pic - it's an awfy wee blade right enough
20240120_133250.jpg

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I think there was a well publicised case of the workman who was nicked for having a toolbox in his van.
Suffice to say I'm a retired copper and never carry one in public, except on those rare occasions I have an actual, either than hypothetical, use for one. Travelling to my daughters gaff to do a spot of DIY may be a typical example.
I carry a penknife in my cycle tools, and have used it just once in ~46,000 miles, I don't know whether that counts as good reason. I had a hedge trimming jammed in the tyre so tight I couldn't get it out, so I trimmed it off flush with the tread using the knife then pushed the rest through with a screwdriver.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Not going to get involved in discussions about what is a good reason etc.

Suffice to say I'm a retired copper and never carry one in public, except on those rare occasions I have an actual, either than hypothetical, use for one. Travelling to my daughters gaff to do a spot of DIY may be a typical example.

It's up to a court to decide what your reasonable excuse may be and in my wide experience vague notions of I may need to possibly one day do something with it is unlikely to cut any ice with them.

The below is a SWK cycling tool, complete with chain tool. I wonder what the court’s opinion on that would be?

1705758356627.jpeg

Top Bottom