Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Carrying a pocket knife isn't some great protection of rights. It's a tool, nothing more. Just like a screwdriver, axe, bilhook, sickle, rake, lawn aerator. My point about a knife being a tool you carry for a job, no job for it then why carry it? It's not going to lose you rights by not carrying your knife.

BTW in the wrong place and time I believe carrying a screwdriver will get you in trouble.

I think carrying knives to protect your right to carry them is right out of the American NRA's playback with right to carry guns. I think over here we kind of look down on American gun lobby for things like that. Is it really much different to UK and knives? We have a knife problem like they have a gun problem. If we had USA levels of gun control would they be using guns over here instead of knives and then you knife carriers would not have any fear of carrying knives without a use for them? ^_^

Don't think I agree with that.

It is already, at least potentially, problematic to have a folding stanley knife in your car unless you are a carpet fitter on the job. Many of us carry some kind of knife or multi tool on the bike for repairs, and hope it is deemed OK if ever challenged. I used carry my locking blade penknife everyday to work, and something on it got used nearly every day though not usually the (problematic?) blade. As an office worker IT consultant I stopped doing so, and all the little jobs suddenly became more of a nuisance whether lack of a small screwdriver or needing to open a package with my teeth. I have (admittedly small) scars in the back of my fingers after doing a too-big job with a non-locking blade so I dislike using such. I should add that any self-defence aspect has never arisen nor has it ever been a motivation for wanting a small knife, or more to the point, multitool on my person

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Carrying a (pocket / folding) knife...​

Not something I would do regardless of the law
Have them in the house with other cutlery
Have them in the garage for garage / DIY/ cycling stuff ETC...
Used to use them in a job [Stanley knifes]would not have carried one outside of work
Have a multitool in my saddle bags when cycling - would not carry on myself
Would not carry one [legal] for what if's / just in case... as the list of the things I might carry 'just in case' could be endless...

Baldy

Über Member
I've several knives I use when I'm camping, for back/bike packing it's usually a swiss army tool box one. When not in use it lives in my cooking pot packed away in the bottom of my pack/panniers, so not likely to attract the attention of the polis. If I'm going to wilder parts and planning to use wood fires I'll take a bigger sheath knife, one I can split logs with. Again it travels packed away in my pack.
For canoeing I've a day-glow yellow knife which is strapped to my life jacket. It's three inches long but doesn't have a point so it won't puncture your inflatable dingy. I was stood talking to a police inspector one time, nothing sinister it was about youth groups, he didn't question the knife. Other than this I wouldn't normally carry one in my pocket, if I need one I can just get one from the draw.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I always have a small penknife on me, or I did until a few days ago when I seem to have lost it.

The good news is that its replacement arrived a few minutes ago and I now have a lovely new Victorinox Bantam. 🙂

IMG_0419.jpeg

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
My usual pocket knife is the H.M.Slater 'Venture' type as issued to generations of the British army; my dad had one. Lambsfoot blade 6cm. long, a substantial can opener & bottle opener, hefty spike on the back intended for loosening tight knots or, as my late bro would say 'For getting boy scouts out of horse's hooves - !' and a built in screwdriver. A solid, no nonsense bit of kit that does the job. :okay:

Domus

Guru
Went on my first cruise about 10 years ago, bags were X-rayed on boarding, my very old Swiss Army knife showed up. Lots of chin stroking and discussion amongst the crew. I eventually persuaded them to allow me on with it. Walked into the dining room that night to find 4,000 steak knives on the tables.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have a SAK which looks exactly like one of the smaller Victorinox ones, but is made by Oerlikon. It has a nice little leather case too. I believe that Oerlikon was a type of anti aircraft gun in WW2 and every time I see it in my drawer I'm reminded of the line in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "guns or knives, Butch?"

I have a SAK which looks exactly like one of the smaller Victorinox ones, but is made by Oerlikon. It has a nice little leather case too. I believe that Oerlikon was a type of anti aircraft gun in WW2 and every time I see it in my drawer I'm reminded of the line in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "guns or knives, Butch?"

Does it have their gold/yellow anti friction coated blades?

Top Bottom