Carrying and securing a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I at the moment carry my bike inside the car, it is a folding e-bike, mainly put in the car, as secure, but carrying two bikes becomes a problem, remove the wheels makes them smaller, but not really an option with a motor in the wheel, but quick release brakes or disc brakes help, on the bike rack the whole rack is quick release, so unless locked to tow bar, does not really help, as to the ignition key on the bike, it does not stop one pedalling it.

With my old £175 mountain bike, OK take a risk, but the e-bike is a bit more money, and also heavy to lift into car, local train takes bikes classed as a dog, but only with the disabled adapted carriage, even the folding bike can't get into the main carriage, has to be left on the veranda.

I on a bike ride went to Asda to get a MacDonald's from restaurant inside, but a lack of anything to really lock a bike to, without causing an obstruction. And everything on the bike seems to be quick release, seat, back rack, wheels, battery pack, plus of course the helmet. At least my wife's e-bike the battery is locked into place, mine simply uses Velcro. It is not just the £200 to replace it, it is the finding of a case which will fit the bike.

It is far easier to carry a bike on the back of the car, even after playing with the number plate and lights, lifting 24 kg onto roof, forget it.

I selected rack as could tow and carry bikes, caravan now gone, just camping trailer. Seems likely soon with need to change car, so a bike rack which does not need tow bar may be good, but a cover so can't see what bike it is, and save removing battery!

But thoughts please.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What was the question?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I use a tow bar mounted rack and then have a thick cable and D lock through frame, wheels and rack when parked and I’m away from them. I don’t think with your ebike that racks that strap to rear of car will hold the weight, nor offer something you can make secure.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

It officially is good for 40 kg, which is a problem with one bike at 22 kg and other at 24 kg, so I am looking at other options, I know it will carry the 46 kg, but officially not rated that high, so in the main mine is folded and wife's goes on the rack, which means max 3 seats can be used in the car, as one needs to be folded to get my bike in.

So looking at what can make life easier, which includes not having to lift the bikes onto the rack, and get on my knees to plug in the light bar, and also thread multi-locks and security cords through the wheels and frame. I take a chance not one runs off with my seat or back rack, easy enough to pinch as both quick release.

A cover may be the answer, I look at this

1657461277311.png and think with that on, no one would know they are e-bikes, and even if cover not secured seems unlikely some one would remove it to find out what is underneath it.

However loads of people must have the same problem, £3000 worth of bikes on the back of your car, and hoping one does not need to claim off house insurance, the bikes are registered, so I would hope they would pay out, but it would also ruin the day out/holiday.

So putting out feelers to see what others do. No point in re-inventing the wheel, if some one has already worked out a good method.

Make your next car be a van with ramps so you can push the bikes in and out of?
Don't leave the bikes unattended ?
How much of the weight is the batteries - can you remove them to make the weight ok for the rack ?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I use a tow bar rack sometimes when I want to carry multiple bikes (which can be of significant value) and am not towing. As above, thick cable and D lock bike-to-rack, and the rack locks to the tow hitch. Given that the rack is aluminium a portable angle grinder would be through it in no time but you can’t counter every possible theft risk, just reduce the chance of a drive-by opportunist.

You can also replace as many QR devices as possible with secure options. For example the seat post clamp - does it need to be QR if you set the height once and leave it? The battery can surely be removed and carried inside the car or taken with you if you leave unattended?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got a problem then. Leaving any bike on a car rack whilst un-attended is a risk, you don't leave the car un-attended - had a mate get his MTB stolen whilst he was eating food directly opposite the car. as for parking it outside a shop, then good d-locks, but if someone want's a part, then that's the risk - a set of hex keys will have bits off. You can get security bolts for wheels and seat posts, but that's it.

We can just about get two MTB's inside MrsF's car, wheels off, stacked on each other, but any more, then they go on my roof rack which takes 4 bikes - we never leave them unattended.

Top Bottom