Carrying bike locks with rear bike racks and bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this idea when I realized that my trek hybrid would not accommodate both my U-lock on my bike frame as well as a water bottle cage. Since I always ride with a bike bag on my rear rack, I noticed that I could slide by U-lock through the handle of the bag and simply secure it with a rubber coated twisty. A Velcro strap would probably work as well. It holds it nice and snug and even allows access to the bag when the lock is attached to the handle. Here is what I’m talking about, in case anyone is faced with the same situation.

Attachments

• EE5E5166-FD0E-45BC-AB3D-B4C6A174DC09.jpeg
    EE5E5166-FD0E-45BC-AB3D-B4C6A174DC09.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
  • F08A79BB-250F-4D27-BEBF-74482F1E9A16.jpeg
    F08A79BB-250F-4D27-BEBF-74482F1E9A16.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 16

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I sling mine in my saddlebag myself.

I'm not aware of the circumstances where large locks are used. For example, after securing the bike, are all 'stealable' items then removed from the bike? Cycle computer, lights if expensive ones, contents of bike bag etc?

If I am intending calling in a place for coffee I like to a have a lock with me. Just chain & padlock threaded through an old inner tube.

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Gotta say, kinda surprised at just a suggestion for others to consider. The Abus U-Lock is just a standard lock, one of the most common ones here in the States. Had it with me yesterday on a 20 mile spin and with the rubber coated super twistie, or whatever those things are called, it had not shifted in the slightest, it's not going anywhere. Some people can toss their U-Locks in their bags, but not quite enough room in my Topeak bag. But this setup works for me. I live in a city of 80,000+ people. Good to have a decent lock at all times, but this is far from excessive. External goodies of value like front & rear rack lights, my handlebar's 4"x4" bluetooth music box all go in the rack bag at final destination and the bag slides off to come with me. Still locking up my bikes like I have since the 70's, front wheel next to the rear, lock through both wheels and frame, around a well secured pole or bike stand.

Yeah, bikes can be stripped and/or stolen no matter what, but that's life and the chance we take for the pleasure of riding. Whatever safety devices make anyone happy and works for them, bravo. Just showing what works for me to offer others a simple, secure, inexpensive setup. Hardly anyone here still uses tubed chains & padlocks, but to each his own.

Top Bottom