Carrying bike on car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
Dunno, but you should turn the bike around so its facing backwards on the car - it'll save your headset.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm curious about this, had a quick look on line and the designs seem to be similar. So, do you get a roof rack first then a bike rack/track per bike required? How many can you put on a car roof, are there set distances the bike racks need to be apart on the roof bars? I've never had a roof rack on a car, any recommended brands etc? and the same for the bike racks?

It could do with a capacity of 5 bikes but accept I may need to go trailer for that many. But would a normal car accomodate 4 bikes on the roof?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again: unless the car is full of people and luggage I see no reason to carry a single bike or even two on the roof or the boot like a trophy. It's exposed to road salt, theft and damage; I have seen bikes wrecked by falling off boot racks. I once tried a roof rack with the bike upright and was horribly aware of the exposure not to mention the extra fuel consumption.

We can get 3 people plus 3 bikes inside our estate car comfortably and we've even managed 4+4 on one occasion with two kids on the 2/3 part of the rear seat. We can get 2 bikes inside Mrs Gti's Citroen C1, dismantled.

It makes me laugh when I see single drivers or couples with bikes on boot racks - I really do think there's an element of posing in it. I've even seen vans with towbar racks, FFS!

mr Mag00

rising member
why would turning it around save the headset, save it from what. the strain will then be pushing from the rear as opposed to the front i see no benefit

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maybe he meant road salt?

Feck - I've just clocked the stem on that Giant. Was it built for a giant?

Some decent knotting there as well, are you a professional driver, Reiver?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Globalti said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: unless the car is full of people and luggage I see no reason to carry a single bike or even two on the roof or the boot like a trophy. It's exposed to road salt, theft and damage; I have seen bikes wrecked by falling off boot racks. I once tried a roof rack with the bike upright and was horribly aware of the exposure not to mention the extra fuel consumption.

We can get 3 people plus 3 bikes inside our estate car comfortably and we've even managed 4+4 on one occasion with two kids on the 2/3 part of the rear seat. We can get 2 bikes inside Mrs Gti's Citroen C1, dismantled.

It makes me laugh when I see single drivers or couples with bikes on boot racks - I really do think there's an element of posing in it. I've even seen vans with towbar racks, FFS!

think calm and happy thoughts, if it was two people in the car then I'd fold down the back seats. I had a boot rack that strapped on, and actually turned back from a drive to Scotland, after about an hour. Bikes and rack were returned to garage as I wasn't happy with the amount of bounce I was seeing in my rearview mirror. Rack was never used again and flogged at a car boot.

I was seeking information and, useful as your rant was, I was kind of hoping for a bit more in the way of constructive:evil:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacB said:
think calm and happy thoughts, if it was two people in the car then I'd fold down the back seats. I had a boot rack that strapped on, and actually turned back from a drive to Scotland, after about an hour. Bikes and rack were returned to garage as I wasn't happy with the amount of bounce I was seeing in my rearview mirror. Rack was never used again and flogged at a car boot.

I was seeking information and, useful as your rant was, I was kind of hoping for a bit more in the way of constructive:evil:

Have you considered one of those racks that mounts to the tow bar ? Whilst I do not have one myself I have seen a few in use and I think you can get 4 bikes on some of them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh, in answer to your question, if your car has permanent roof bars you need to buy a fitting kit to fit cross bars then buy the accessory kit - skis, boards, canoes, bikes or whatever. I've seen four bikes on roofs, maybe you'd need to do it forward/backward/forward/backward.

If your car doesn't have roof bars you still need a fitting kit. Then you need the appropriate rubber feet for your car with clamps for the gutters or door frames or special fittings that screw into a threaded hole under a plastic trim. Once you've crossed that hurdle you can fit your cross bars and your accessories. It's all a bit of a minefield and the only manufacturer who I've ever found who has it all sorted is Thule. There are also retailers like Snowchains.co.uk who can set you up with the right kit. The most expensive way of doing it is by buying the bits as branded accessories from the car manufacturer.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have two racks on the roof & wasn't sure how secure the bikes were initially, but they have never budged an inch. :biggrin: They are more secure than a rear mounted rack I have previously used. The tow bar mounted racks are ok, but you need a light board on too, otherwise it's likely your rear lights will be obscured.
Your roof bars will have a max weight load which may restrict the amount of bikes you can carry. I bought some cheap bars from Argos & I think the weight limit is 50kg, so with the weight of the bike racks & then the bikes, you may be close to the limit.

I have driven quite a few times with just myself in the car & my bike on the roof & although I drive an estate, why should i put it inside the car after a wet winter ride & ruin my upholstery? Why is it more exposed to salt, wet weather etc when it's on the top of a car rather than riding it in winter :sad:

I've got exactly the same model Thule cycle carriers and have used them on numerous occasions to transport bikes to holiday locations and I have never worried about the bike coming off one. As long as they are correctly fitted and adjusted and your roof bars are secure, there's no reason why you should find any different to me.

beastie

Guru
Bad points ... significant amount of wind noise, at speed it fair howls. Also
fuel economy, our car normally returns 48mpg, with bike on roof this falls to 42mpg, this totally amazes me 12½% reduction in fuel economy, would of expected a drop but not by that much, just shows how important aerodynamics are.[/QUOTE]

I use a rear mounted rack for 2 bikes when we take the rugrats upto grannys(no room in car). It's motorway all the way and quiet ones two. The parachute effect begins at about 55 - 60 mph. Drive at 70 and it adds about 12 % fuel usage. Drive at 75 - 80 and its much much worse.

Top Bottom