Carrying bikes on roof....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of a tour of Lewis next year... Free accommodation through a friend so was thinking driving to Ullapool with bikes on roof and going over on ferry as foot passengers with bikes.

Any views on carrying 2 bikes on roof for about 350 miles.. Both road bikes, one carbon. Had a boot carrier before.....hated it never felt it was safe and I scratched the boot.. so thinking of roof bars and cycle carriers that hold the bike upright and hold it by the down tube.....

Thoughts please..... And err...... I haven't discussed this plan with Mrs V... I was thinking while little-un was on holiday with in-laws.....

And no we can't ride to Ullapool..... It would use up all the time we have......

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You will be fine as long as you don't try to drive through any height restricted barriers.

OP
OP
simon the viking
You will be fine as long as you don't try to drive through any height restricted barriers.
If I get some roof bars.... I will measure the total height with bikes on and put a big sticker on the dashboard......

Was thinking of damage to bikes.... Anyone had any problems

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There are Thule roof Carriers which have a torque setting built in so you can't overtighten on a carbon frame. They are also lockable so whilst not 100 % secure will deter the opportunist.

13 rider

Guru
You need to check if the carrier is designed for Carbon bikes the one I use clamps to the down tube and I wouldn't want to clamp my carbon bike with it but ok for steel hybrid . You can get one were you use the front skewer after removing the front wheel to secure it . Had no issues going to Cornwall twice at Motorway speeds with the hybrid on the roof just don't forget it's there

DRHysted

Guru
No problem have done Southampton to Kinloch Rannoch a few times with my carbon bike using a Thule rack that clamps the down tube.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As with the old boot cycle rack, when I put the bikes on the roof carrier, I stop after a short distance and check if the rack and bike clamps/straps need tweaking up a bit.

And..... Turn Strava off!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If I get some roof bars.... I will measure the total height with bikes on and put a big sticker on the dashboard......

Was thinking of damage to bikes.... Anyone had any problems
Nope. In summer, they can get plastered by bugs a little (the worst I can remember was a trip in early September to Normandy) but the bikes have always arrived fine. I second the recommendation for Thule - I like the Freerides, but my Dad has a carbon bike & uses the ProRide carrier. Thule carriers will lock to your bars, and it's worth getting bars that lock too. Back when we had an estate with roof rails, I'd run a cable lock through too when we stopped, but was often laughed at for being paranoid :smile:

I do remove saddle bags, bottles, lights, computers (but not the light or computer mounts) before mounting the bikes to the carriers.

Lpoolck

Veteran
Did a similar journey, two carbon road bikes, one using the Thule 561 and the other the standard Thule which clamps using the down tube. No ill effects for either bike but the fuel consumption was reduced somewhat!

I agree with checking after a couple of miles. Carried loads of stuff over the years, and, it has paid off more then once!! Also, be careful, I saw a very distraught guy years ago coming back from France late one night, drive onto the ferry and wipe out two very pretty (expensive) bikes as he hit the floor above!! Yes measure and remember :-)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a Thule 532 which I used to carry my alu bike no problem, but it clamps on the down tube with quite a thunk so I wasn't too keen on using it for my new carbon bike.
So I've bought a Thule 598 (which has recently replaced the 591) with the torque dial to clamp the bike up, which I'm personally a lot happier with. It also locks, although Thule also sell an additional securing cable if you want another level of security.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...acks/thule-proride-598-roof-mounted-bike-rack - Halfords will price match most other retailers including online and don't forget if you have British Cycling membership you get another 10% off as well.

They hold both the bike very steady at motorway speeds - I've got a panoramic windscreen on the car so I can see the bikes while I'm driving.

Top Bottom